2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the offshore game and I was curious to when the chicken dolphin start moving closer to beachfront in POC and surrounding areas. My father and I are planning a trip for next summer and we would like to pick up a few dolphin in our kayaks. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I caught a few waaaay south (offshore of Baffin essentially) a couple years back on a weedline, but it really wasn't within kayak range (12-15 miles off the beach).

Generally speaking, you're not going to find dolphin (chicken or otherwise) closer than 20 miles out.

Plenty of kings and spanish mackerel, as well as ling within paddling distance though.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
chicken dolphin

I have caught a lot of chicken dolphin out of galveston within 10 miles of the beach... actually in july this year my dad and I saw some about 2 miles off the jetties under a rainsuit that was drifting ... I caught seven of them to 10 lbs about 4 miles from the jetties under a floating 55 gallon drum 2 years ago.. Spec rigs work good for the chickens... I noticed the water temp being 75 degrees plus with good water clarity ... no pro at this but have caught them in very close.. tommy

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
I've caught them around 10 miles out of Port A, on a weedline that was on a solid color change. But that's the closest I've ever seen 'em.

·
Registered
93 Posts
last trip we caught 21 and could have been even more. they we hanging around a tire that fell off a shrimp boat. we were 55-60 miles out of matagorda looking for tuna.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts