2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you have a steering stabilizer installed? the instructions that came with the one i bought are ****. i need pics of one installed in a truck/suv around 1996. thanks

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
I don't use one on my truck but I'll see if I can't get an idea of how to mount it. Give me a bit.

Is your truck lifted? How large a tire are you running? If you don't have a lift and BIG tires a stabilizer really is a waste. I run 33x11.5 tires on my '91 Z71 and have no need for a stabilizer. IMO a stabilizer only hides steering/suspension issues on stock IFS trucks. Used to run a Bronco with 8" lift & 36" tires without a stab. I did add one when I went to 39" mudders.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's got a 3" body lift with 33s. i've been reading up on them and so far it looks like it's not a bad idea to put one on. i got it for free basically and wanna see what all it does.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
That's what I'm running. I use 33 BFG A/T KO's & have no problems. I did just rebuild the front end with a PST polygraphite kit & pro comp shocks so my front end is super tight. If you run an M/T tire you will get a little more feed back through the steering wheel.

I was at Lowe's & Home Depot earlier and looked at about a dozen 90's era Chevy 4x trucks and none had a stabilizer.

Chevy did offer a factory stab on 3/4 & 1 tons during the 90's. They used a different centerlink with an extra hole next to the idler arm hole and a bracket on the back of the crossmember on the drivers side.

I would guess an after market setup would use a similar arrangement but with a couple of u-bolts & a bracket on the centerlink. I didn't see any factory holes on the frame to mount a bracket to so you probably have to drill your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thanks. can you give me a link where you found that image? i've got a '96 2DR 4WD Tahoe. I just put 4 new pro comp shocks on it and the stabilizer was part of the package. I've got a 3" body lift with 285 Goodyear MTRs. I'm gonna eventually go with a 4" suspension lift and 35's as soon as these wear out.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
I scanned that image from a Haynes repair manual. If you can scan the directions you got or take a pic of the stab & brackets, I might be able to give ya a better idea of how to install it.

Later,

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts