2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 chevy silverado 2500HD 4x4 and my gauges are not working anymore. Nothing will work at all, not my mph, rpm, gas, trans temp, nothing. Every now and then they will turn on after I have been driving for a little while. Anyone know whats going on? Are my gauges going out or what?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Might be the drive motors (electrical) in the dashboard. I know GM had a bad batch of motors, the motors run about $10.00 but the labor is going to kill you. The motors are soldered on, so they can't just be removed and replaced. Have a similar issue with a 2004 Chevy truck, the only thing affected is the speedometer. The needle starts climbing and pegs to the max right side. If I crank the starter a few times it slowly climbs back to the left.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Cajun Thunder,

what did it cost you to have that done?

·
"Whatever one sows, he will also reap"
789 Posts
ditto

Do a search here on Instrument cluster if you dont want to dig deep into your wallet like the rest of us did.
Lost my speedometer @ 50,000 on my 04 GMC Z71 and the dealer soaked me for Over 5 bills.
I think it was CoachLaw...He may have advice on a cheap fix, if its the same.
GoodLuck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey guys if ya' go to dieselplace.com and find the right forum there is a step by step procedure for doing it yourself. I have read it seems easy enough if you are some what mechanically inclined. I haven't done mine yet because I am working a ton of hours. Soon as this start up is over it is the first thing on my to do list. Some of it does involve un-soldering a couple of wire. Of course the truck is not driveable during any of this so do the planning accordingly.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Mine are bad too on a 03 Chevy Pu Wrecker. General Coolbro gave me a number to a guy in Cali, but you have to overnight him the guages and he'll overnight them back. Like a 3 or 4 day process. Think he said it was like hundred and something to fix. I have to drive my truck everyday so I'm waiting to get oone wrecked in the storage lot to swap out for a few days. If not the dealer quoted me new $350. I have the number if you need it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
check your battery connections and make sure that are clean and good and tight,my 2001 2500HD was doing the ssame thing you describe, then it starting just dying going down the road, removed an cleaned the cables stopped the problem.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Oh yeah, I've been through this wringer. Thank the good Lord and Mont for 2cool. My Angleton dealer tried to soak me for over $500. They said I needed a new instrument cluster. In your case you may indeed need one since all your gauges are out, but here was my fix. My speedo was all out of whack and I came here whining and complaining about what the dealer quoted me. Thanks to several people here and in particular General CoolBro, I got it fixed for about $20 and I even got a great fishing trip out of it.

My Chevy is a 2004, so your problem may be different. The problem with mine was the stepper motor located behind the dial that the needle is attached to. GM knows these are faulty and they made replacements, but dealers are instructed to screw the customers by only being allowed to replace the entire cluster. The stepper motors can be had on Ebay for about $20 including shipping. The fellow also has a deal where you can send your cluster to him and he will replace all the motors. In your case it sounds like the best deal since all your instruments are out of whack. I'll qualify all this by saying your problem may be different due to the simultaneous failure of all the gauges. Mine was only the speedometer.

I'm no mechanic, and I'm especially afraid of breaking plastic things. I went to visit GCB and after a wonderful fishing trip on Sabine Lake, I helped him replace the faulty stepper motor. I really just stood there and cheered for him, occasionally lending a hand. He removed the instrument cluster, took off the old motor, and soldered in the new one with the skill of a surgeon. It was a task that sometimes required 4 hands, but it is within the means of most any shade tree mechanic.

I'll reiterate, this may not be the fix you need, but it's what happened with mine. Good luck! - Coach

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
CHECK YOUR FUSE

Told a friend about the thread about this when his guages went out. He replaced the fuse. The cluster went out again. He thoroughly cleaned the fuse holder. No more problems....been about 9 months now.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Check which fuse? My RPM and Speedo guage are the only one's messing up. Somebody wants to fix it for me I'll pay or take you fishing.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
This is my friends response via e-mail this morning.

Funny u should ask, I was just thinkin about that problem, but since I changed out the fuse, no problems since. I'm hoping the problem was just a defective fuse.
Before you spend money to replace the cluster, replace the fuse and clean the socket!

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
That's good advice! In my case it was the faulty stepper motors, but the fuse is the easiest, cheapest thing to check for sure. - Coach

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the replys..I swear my truck has a mind of its own. Now the gauges are working but only when the truck has been running for a little while. I think most of yall are right about the stepper motors cause I think they are just getting bad and worsen everyday. I may just try to find a new set of gauges or something. Thanks once again for the help, yall guys are great and thats why I like coming here to ask questions.

·
Port Aransas Shark Hunter
347 Posts
If you think there is a possibility that your battery is going bad...replace it and your problem may be fixed. Seen it...done it....been there.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
If it were not for 2cool, I'd be out another $500 easy, plus I'd never have gotten to meet such as great guy as General Coolbro. I mean how many people out there will help you fix your truck, take you fishing, and refuse to take anything for it???

Check Ebay for the stepper motors. Like I said, you can get the guy on there to replace all your motors, and it's MUCH CHEAPER than the checkbook rape the dealership will do you. - Coach

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts