2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
10 speeds, not sure on the axles.
Nice. Ford went to a 10 speed on their diesels and it really helped the mpg.

My rear-end is the 3:73
Wow, that's great mileage with that rear end. I know a lot of the F250's have gone to really small rear ends to get the mpg up. Usually the biggest is a 3:55, but a lot have the 3:31 (I think they even have a smaller one). My wife's Expedition has a 10 speed tranny with a 3:73 rear end (has the towing package) and the eco boost gas engine. It gets pretty good fuel mileage at around 19mpg around town, but nothing like your getting. That's awesome what you're getting with that rear end.

·
archTech
8,579 Posts
Nice. Ford went to a 10 speed on their diesels and it really helped the mpg.

Wow, that’s great mileage with that rear end. I know a lot of the F250’s have gone to really small rear ends to get the mpg up. Usually the biggest is a 3:55, but a lot have the 3:31 (I think they even have a smaller one). My wife’s Expedition has a 10 speed tranny with a 3:73 rear end (has the towing package) and the eco boost gas engine. It gets pretty good fuel mileage at around 19mpg around town, but nothing like your getting. That’s awesome what you’re getting with that rear end.
Alot of the newer vehicles with more gear sets in the transmissions, actually have more than one...most 2...overdrives, which is anything over the final 1:1 drive ratio. They are nice, but boy oh boy are they going to cost $$$ on a rebuild...

·
archTech
8,579 Posts
Wow! I’m running 35’s with 22” wheels on my Ford diesel and it’s all stock. No lift and no rub. My cousin has 33.5” grapplers on his f-150 with just a leveling kit.

That’s what I dislike about GM/Chevy, they sit low and they have those deep squared wheel wells that won’t accommodate tires proportional to the truck. The stock tires always look too small for the truck.

Anyhow, I didn’t mean to derail the topic here. What’s the rear end ratio on the 1/2 ton Chevy diesel? And is it a 10 speed tranny like the new fords?
...and if you have ever sit in one of the front seats, you will notice it's like sitting on the floor board...you can barely see over the front of the hood...

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,048 Posts
...and if you have ever sit in one of the front seats, you will notice it's like sitting on the floor board...you can barely see over the front of the hood...
I just went and test drove one and thats the first thing my wife and I said. I decided against getting one because it was so sluggish and unresponsive. Im still in love with the 3.5 ecoboost power I guess. I just ordered a tuner to see if it helps with the gas mileage and its gonna be fun to see what close to 500 hp feels like in a lite aluminum truck.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts