2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mansfield Bootlegger
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a contract for a chesapeake bay retriever for a male pup. heres what happened:

I got a Chessy from tail feather kennels back in last september, but the hurricane hit right after i got him. A&M galveston sustained damage and we had to move to college station for the rest of the semester. I couldn't keep the dog, and i gave it back in short notice. They would not refund me, but they gave me a written contract with signature of a male pup on the next litter.

The latest chessy litter was welped on nov. 12, and will be ready jan 12th. My job offshore after i graduate wont allow me to have a dog, so i must have someone take the contract for a puppy. I graduate A&M this saturday, and i need some money to get me started on the real world.

Chessys are excellent hunting dogs, bred for water, and make amazing companions.

www.tailfeatherkennels.com

PM if you are interested.

·
Mansfield Bootlegger
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Out to Lunch
4,362 Posts
i have a contract for a chesapeake bay retriever for a male pup. heres what happened:

I got a Chessy from tail feather kennels back in last september, but the hurricane hit right after i got him. A&M galveston sustained damage and we had to move to college station for the rest of the semester. I couldn't keep the dog, and i gave it back in short notice. They would not refund me, but they gave me a written contract with signature of a male pup on the next litter.

The latest chessy litter was welped on nov. 12, and will be ready jan 12th. My job offshore after i graduate wont allow me to have a dog, so i must have someone take the contract for a puppy. I graduate A&M this saturday, and i need some money to get me started on the real world.

Chessys are excellent hunting dogs, bred for water, and make amazing companions.

What's your next step? Getting rid of a future bride.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dude...with all respect I looked at the site and it is amazing to me to see CBR pedigrees with such a complete dearth of hunt test/field trial titles. It is fairly easy to locate litters with both confirmation and hunting test/trial credentials.

My $.02.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
My wife had one when we got married. They do not handle the Texas Summers very well. The heat is rough on them.

·
"Whew,,, that was fun!"
64 Posts

Why do you have to take the puppy now? Can't you wait on a future litter? I have a few clients that have a deposit with me for a puppy, but because of their job, they're not able to take one right now. Which is fine. I want the timing to be right for them. There's no rush.

Annie

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
gsp's,cbs's and horses???? Look like they do them all poorly. Forfit the money and start over with someone who breeds for more than bench quality. CBR's are difficult at best due to the shallow gene pool, your breeder has no clue as to which end of a hunt test or field trial begins.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
gsp's,cbs's and horses???? Look like they do them all poorly. Forfit the money and start over with someone who breeds for more than bench quality. CBR's are difficult at best due to the shallow gene pool, your breeder has no clue as to which end of a hunt test or field trial begins.
I've bred and trained Chessies and have had 2 Labradors, now that I don't have room to train, and I would be confident in saying that Labradors have a greater chance of not being good field dogs than Chessies... a shallow gene pool is not a bad thing. I have nothing against well bred Labs at all though. Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Ours was named Becky and she was a good dog. But she was hard headed. I am not sure on the bloodline but my wife got her from a breeder in New England. I believe Boston to be exact. She was full of energy and loved to play. We played fetch one day when it was 104 here in DFW and she got to hot. She stroked out. When we realized she was to hot we tried to cool her down as best we could. She survived but never fully recovered. Vet confirmed heat stroke. She just loved to fetch and would go all day. Just watch them in the hot summer. She was a tad overweight also and that may have contributed to her heat stroke. Wife and kids spoiled her some and gave her tablescraps is why she got a little fat. She was a swimming machine and a very smart but stubborn dog. Everyyear after that the summer was exceptionally tough on her. She passed one July in the night.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Any dog would stroke out when it is 104 outside!!! Sorry about your loss but a little common since goes a long way!

Drifter

Ours was named Becky and she was a good dog. But she was hard headed. I am not sure on the bloodline but my wife got her from a breeder in New England. I believe Boston to be exact. She was full of energy and loved to play. We played fetch one day when it was 104 here in DFW and she got to hot. She stroked out. When we realized she was to hot we tried to cool her down as best we could. She survived but never fully recovered. Vet confirmed heat stroke. She just loved to fetch and would go all day. Just watch them in the hot summer. She was a tad overweight also and that may have contributed to her heat stroke. Wife and kids spoiled her some and gave her tablescraps is why she got a little fat. She was a swimming machine and a very smart but stubborn dog. Everyyear after that the summer was exceptionally tough on her. She passed one July in the night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts