2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't turn the water supply off to the sprinkler system and the top of the vacumn breaker blew off like a rocket. Water gushing everywhere! If you haven't, get it done ASAP!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine blew off about 2 hours ago anyone know what it takes to fix? Any other prevetative measures I should take.:headknock

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Is there a way to easily bleed the line at the vacuum breaker once you turn off the supply? Seems just turning it off wouldnt do much good since the line will still be full of water. Should I run each station for 1 minute and bleed it off?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I knew better, but completely forgot too. My neighbor called about 1 today and it looked like a geiser when I got home. I saw 2 commercial ones on Hwy 6 shooting water 30' or so in the air. 2 friends called - samething. They should all have a cut off valve and a bleeder valve.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I just took my water hose off drained it and took the sprayer off and put both in the garage.:)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Take the cap that broke and blew off to the local plumbing wholesale business (not home depot or lowes). It should have the part number and mfg. It will all depend on the make and model. If it is a major brand, you should be able to buy the cap and parts. If not, the entire vac brkr may need to be replaced. Not always cheap and many are copper and soldered into place, thus a plumber may be required also. Not out of the question for it to cost someone $200 to fix.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I lost mine in the freeze/snow in early December. Sorry I didn't let everyone know to do this earlier. Now it needs replacing. I learned my lesson

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
I posted about this earlier in the week. Turn the water supply to the sprinkler system off and open one of hte zone valves for a few minutes to let the water drain out. If yours got damaged, we can usually rebuild them, unless the copper is cracked.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
after reading the above I got worried about my sprinkler system. My yard guy installed it while I was out of town and although I told him to put a valve on the line I have no clue if he did or where it would be. It's not in the hole by the water meter. Everything else is long covered up. I went out an poked around in the meter box but its full of sludge and can't see anything. I got a trash bucket and put it over the two pipes rising out of the ground next to the front door that have valves on them to control the left and right laterals. Then I stuck a 100 watt bulb in a mechanics light under the bucket next to the lines. Hopefully that will keep them warm enough so they don't break. Only other way to turn off water would be at the meter box and that would be a real problem in the dark with all the sludge in the hole plus it would also turn off the water to the house. This is a must project for warmer weather.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
Possibly, if you just shut the water off, it's still full. The internals are plastic and rubber so it doesn't take much ice to trash them.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I did the same as Super Dave, I could not find my main shut off so shut the valve at the head inlet, and drained. Remembering the cost of a new valve, As paranoida prevention I propped a sheet of plywood up on the pipes and placed 350 watt shop light inside shining up at the pipes. The side of my house looks like a UFO landed.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I turned my sprinkler system off, but didn't turn the main valve off...Yep, it blew yesterday! Guess I need a 2cool plumber to pm me!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I wrapped and covered my back flow preventer. I was actually on the lazy side yesterday so I just ran the system before bed and again this morning before work. I now have a nice shiny lawn. No reaching into dark damp holes for me. :biggrin:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Was driving home today from an errand and noticed water all over the street. Looked and the top blew off my neighbors valve. Stopped and knocked on the door to let them know they had a problem. They wern't home so I shut off the valve so the didn't have a huge water bill. I shut mine off and wrapped the pipes. I didn't blead the pressure. I think I will go do that now.

·
Mirrolure Pro Staff
3,607 Posts
4 of them in our hood blew off.One was our next door nieghbor and she wasnt home so i got it shut off after getting soaked and as soon as i got that one off the house 2 doors down blew and he wasnt home and got his shut off.So me and another neighbor went and shut the rest of the hoods off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sprinkler vac. breaker

Those sprinkler vac. breakers have been popping like balloons here in Brazoria County. I own a plumbing supply here in Angleton and I got
a list a mile long of people I have to get repair kits for first thing Monday morning from the rep. warehouse.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts