2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While returning from a fishing trip on Sunday I had an accident in which my boat was catapulted from the trailer! Thank God no one was injured or damaged other than my boat motor and trailer. I called my insurance assist line and a wrecker was sent to recover the boat, on Monday when I called to see what to do next the sad truth became evident. I had failed to renew my insurance coverage, totally my fault,the renewal form lost in the mail? an oversight on my part? the sun was in my eyes? I don,t know. It is easy to forget those once a year things we are all so busy. Lesson is call your agent and check to make sure you are covered NO your auto coverage may not protect you. Hope someone gets benefit from this it set me back about 10K.

·
Charter Member
5,923 Posts
Thanks for the note. Luckily, I got a renewal notice in the mail. Dang, has it been a year already? Time sure can zip by on some things.

Mike

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Which Coverage?

Which policy lapsed? Auto or boat?

My boat is covered by the auto policy when it is on the trailer and hitched to the truck

steve

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
steve - not all policies will cover a trailered boat being towed by the insured vehicle. My auto policy will cover the trailer itself, but not the boat.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
Insurance companies have all changed thier policies the last few years, you better check to make sure its covered if its towed. Just redid mine yesterday, LOL it was only two weeks behind. Like you said, other thing on the mind.

·
Registered
798 Posts
That's why I pay a little more for boat insurance. I have my home. RV, vehicles and boat on one policy. That way they all renew at the same time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Insurance

steve_m said:
Which policy lapsed? Auto or boat?

My boat is covered by the auto policy when it is on the trailer and hitched to the truck

steve
Steve,
I know every company is a little different, but you may want to verify what you stated above. A Texas Personal Auto Policy extends liability coverage to a trailer from the towing unit. This means your auto liability would cover damage to another person's property if you back into them or what not. However, physical damage to your boat or trailer ensuing from an accident that is your fault would not be covered. The boat and trailer typically must be covered by a seperate policy.

Just my $.02.........The Q Man

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
Steve,

I myself am an independent agent and can not understand for the life of me why any agent with any kind of ethics would not call you at renewal to discuss your coverage options and to ensure that you were either going to renew your policies or move them to another agent. That is our job and I hate it that this was a result of bad service!

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
no kidding bbridges. I pay my car insurance in 2 payments. One payment each three months. If it is a week before my second payment is due, my agent calls me to remind me that I havn't paid it.

I once had an agent that would drive across town to pick up my payment when it was late. Talk about good service!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Over the years I have been late sending a payment for whatever reason and received a late notice from our insurers and then sent a payment ASAP. Was glad to get that reminder fro him. Not all agents really care....................O

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
QBall is right. I'm an Allstate agent and your personal auto policy extends liability to the boat being towed but does not cover physical damage. FYI...your auto insurance protects you in a rent car, so don't let rental companies charge you for their insurance.

BBridges...I concur. That agent probably won't build up a good business with that kind of service.

Hope your back on the water soon Nuclearfishin'

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the condolences the whole deal was raw. qb was right there was an exclusion for the towed vehicle,if I had damaged someone elses property etc. the coverage would have extended to protect them but not me my policies renew in Aug. there will definitely be some changes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a boat totalled in an auto accident on 4/25/04. I was rear ended so the other driver was at fault. Before the other driver's insurance would accept liability I called my agent to check and see if my truck policy would cover it. NOPE. I had a happy ending, but take this message to heart...you better check with your agent if you think your auto policy covers your boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts