2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I got half way done and it was just too much readin about a stinkin gallon of pickles..... from what I read, Wally-World is... well.... I don't rightly know..HAHA..........JJ

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
To long to read it all. I'll just say...We keep shopping there, it ain't gonna change. I'm guilty.

·
Colossians 3
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shop there too

And I ain't gonna quit. Anything you want, you can just about get it there. Boils down to me not having enough time or money to ride all over, finding/hunting bargains when its all under one roof. Its a matter of convenience.

Flip side to it is that the old "Mom & Pop" stores are a thing of the past. THey can't compete with "big business" like Wal-mart. Just hope they don't gobble up everything and raise prices. History shows wealth does not go away, it just changes hands.

We're living is a world where there is more and more Govt control and big business taking control. Is this a sign of the free enterprise system in decline?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
There's a lot of truth in what you say Fishman!

This statement that you made:
"
Flip side to it is that the old "Mom & Pop" stores are a thing of the past."

is the direct result of your previous statement:
"Boils down to me not having enough time or money to ride all over, finding/hunting bargains when its all under one roof. Its a matter of convenience."

I saw the first sign of this in the early sixties when I was Copy Chief at Jefferson Stores in Miami. This chain of stores was very similar to Walmart.

One of the memos I received from the Chairman of the Board informed me that I was to slant all copy from the advertising dept. to a theme "buy it now and save", "one stop shopping", "shop here and save time" etc. The whole point was to woo people away from shopping store to store for their needs.

In a couple of years you could see the effect this type of advertising was having. Chain stores all over the country were doing the same thing. Then, one by one you could see the Mom & Pop stores close their doors and out of business. Many had been in business for an incredible number of years compared to the lifetime of stores today.

I had been going to the same pharmacy for over 10 years. One day when I walked in the owner/pharmacist took me aside and told me that they were closing their doors. Why? Because they simply could not compete in price with Pharmacies run by one-stop-shop places like the Jefferson Stores where I was working. His drug store had been handed down father to son.

Just like "big" in any business ... BIG almost always wins out!

·
Colossians 3
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And...

Aunt Joyce said:

Just like "big" in any business ... BIG almost always wins out!
Along with that most of the "personal service" is gone to. Tis a shame we have lost some of the good points of the "good 'ol days."

We still have 2 stores left in Salisbury, an "old hardware store" and an "old general store" that has all the old trinket stuff from way back. Even licorice in a jar. You can still buy a wash tub if you want.

Browse this site http://www.maststore.com/ This is about a 2 1/2 hr drive for us near Boone NC. If you can't find it here, you don't need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts