2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing in the inshore division on Friday, my partner and I were wading the North shoreline of a back lake catching our redfish. A maroon Transcat drifted up close to us twice and watched us catching the fish. They pulled down the shoreline a few hundred yards and got out and waded the shoreline also. No problem, so may call it potlicking but there was room and they didn't cut off much of our wade. We finished up our fish and left the area to try and improve our trout. The next day we caught our trout and headed back to the lake at approx the same time. The maroon Transcat was stuck high and dry on a sand bar while apparently trying to enter the lake through the wrong entrance. The owners of the boat were nowhere to be seen. When we got to the area where we caught the fish there was a boat parked in our spot with two waders fishing the area. The waders were 500 to 600 yards apart and the rules state max of 400 yards. We pulled down from them and got out and ended up wading more towards the middle of the lake off of the shoreline and actually caught slightly better fish than the day before. We got back in our boat and left the lake and the other boat left behind us. When we exited the lake the maroon Transcat had been pulled off of the bar and was now parked next to two other boats on the shoreline. The boat behind us pulled up to it, parked and got into the Transcat and took off after visiting with their friends for several minutes. Fishing out of two boats is strictly prohibited in the Poco rules. We arrived at the weigh in at 4:40 PM and the Transcat was just being loaded onto a trailer and pulling off, having weighed in their fish early probably to avoid being seen by us. The weigh master informed my partner that we were in 2nd place for master angler and in a virtual tie for 2nd place redfish and that he needed to head to the boat house for a polygraph. While waiting for his turn the guys in the Transcat sat down for a polygraph. My partner asked them if they were in the maroon Transcat that ran aground at the lake entrance. They confirmed that it indeed was them but when asked how they got into the lake they said that they walked in from their boat which would have been close to a mile trudge through knee deep mud. My partner informed the man in charge of the polygraph of the situation while taking his test. Their team name is the Johnson Brothers and as the name suggests they are brothers but I did not get their first names. At the party that night there was rumors that they were having difficulties passing the test but ended up passing it and were awarded second place redfish stringer. I do not fish too many tournaments anymore because of all of the cheating taking place, but I have always loved Poco because it is a classy tournament with a great format and the polygraph. It is a very well run tournament with a lot of great people in the organization and fishing the tournament and it is very disappointing for me to see it stoop to the level of so many other tournaments out there today. There were rumors of another winning team that cheated but I saw this team cheat and there is absolutely no doubt about it. Right now I am not sure if I will fish it again which is upsetting because I have always started looking forward to the next year's tourney the day after the current tourney is over. Thanks for letting me vent.

Recut

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunate

Yeah, I heard rumors also. There was a pretty large showdown at the party Saturday night. I hope the issue gets resolved definitively, one way or the other. I fished the Cula Roja tournament for years. I do not fish that tournament anymore because of my firm belief that cheating is rampant. Cheating can really put a damper on the people who would never, ever consider cheating an option. Again, a most unfortunate situation.

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
This thread is being closed for a variety of reasons. First, bandwidth costs money. Second, I am tired of everyone that has a beef with such and such tourney running here and whining about it. Be a man, and take it up with them on THEIR board. If they don't have a board, ask yourself why.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.