2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The cheap shot that A Rod tried to pull in the bottom of the 8th hacked me off (pardon the pun). And then after he was correctly called out he stands there on second base with his hands in the air saying "what did I do?" Oh,and how about those classy NY fans throwing junk out on the field.

Then to top that off, the Fox announcer said "well if your A Rod you have to give it a try, your going to be out anyway". What message is that sending to our kids? "Well if a cop tries to pull you over, you might as well run from him since you are going to get a ticket anyway" or "If your not doing so well on a test, you might as well cheat off someone because your going to get a bad grade anyway"

Now I'm pulling for the Sox more than ever.

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
I agree, that was a lame attempt. What I didn't understand was the ump calling him safe and he hadn't touched the base yet. You would think as much money as he makes he would know the rules.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Didn't Watch the Game

I saw it on the highlights this morning. Amazing that he would be so obvious in trying to knock the ball out of the glove.

I can understanding purposely sliding into the catcher on a play at the plate, but running down the first base line and literally hacking at the glove? Come on!

Stros win the WS in 5!

·
Registered
781 Posts
The fans disappointed...

...me the most, but I don't see too much fault in rod's attempt to get to base. It's similar to a play in football where an offensive lineman holds a guy to protect his QB or a pass defender interfering with the receiver in order to prevent a sure touchdown. You just don't see it in baseball very often.

The behavior of their fans was insane though. I hope they all watched sportscenter when they got home and saw that the correct call was made on this play as well as the home run that bounced off a fan in left field. I'll be pulling for the sox tonight, but not on Saturday when the 'Stros take it to 'em.

I sure hope the Astros win tonight. I'll be on my way to POC tomorrow evening and won't get to watch if there is a game 7.

Later.......................Q

·
Registered
916 Posts
Astros

I hope to GOD the STROS win! I only hope the **** Yanks win so that the ASTROS and the rest of the country can get the satisfaction of seeing us whooping their butts. GO STROS!

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
He could have easily barrelled into the pitcher like Larry szonka, and sent him into next month. The fans in Yankee Stadium are the crumbs of society. That little stunt silenced the crowd and took them completly out of the game.

Bigwater

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with what he did. That's why the umpires are there. If everyone played 100% by the rules, batters would call their own balls and strikes and umps wouldn't be needed. He was out either way, he should've just made it less obvious. It's just like trying to knock the football out of a runningback's hands to me. Like Bigwater said, he could've done a lot worse. The fact that he and Joe Torre argued it at length are pretty ridiculous, though. It was a blatant attempt to dislodge the ball, so he's out for interference. There's nothing wrong with interference, though...it's part of the game. If it's blatant, you're out, but what do you have to lose if you're already out? And yes, I was amazed that the ump called him safe without him ever touching the base. I think the umps view of the bag was impeded, though, so I don't think he could tell whether or not he touched the base.

G

·
ShadMan said:
. . . I was amazed that the ump called him safe without him ever touching the base. I think the umps view of the bag was impeded, though, so I don't think he could tell whether or not he touched the base.
That is wahat the ump said after the game, that his view was completely blocked. All he saw was the loose ball.

I would think all Texans would want the Sox to win. Then the series could become a Kerry vs Bush contest. :) (If the Astros can do their part!) ;)

:rybka:

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Also

Imagine what it would mean to Bagwell to play in a World Series against the Sox. Me? Im pulling for the Sox. In my opinion the Yanks epitimize what is wrong with professional sports today. I think it makes for a better story line to have the two under dogs in there.

Z

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
As long as the Stros are there I don't care who they play! Now I would love to see Stienbrenner throwing a tyrant and firing people but I am concentrating on the Stros winning. If they win this afternoon I'll be a Sox fan! As far as what A-Rod did, come on national TV, he looked like a little gorl slapping a hand away! He would have had better luck trying to run over the 1st base man and pitcher!!! Has anyone heard anything on What Beltran plans to do?

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Okay, I got me a little dilema. I was born and raised in Taxachusetts. I haven't lived there at all since 1981, but am still a huge Sox fan. Hate the Yankees. Love the Stros.

The way I figure it, if the Sox win and the Stros win, I don't lose no matter who wins the WS. I just wouldn't know who to bet on.

Shadman was right, what A Rod did was just part of the game. What the fans did is inexcusable.

Here's my prediction: WS Sox in six.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Evil Empire

Not to get in the habit of agreeing with anything the Yankees do, but, I see nothing wrong with what A-Rod did. As far as I could tell he was just playing the game instinctively. However, his reaction to the call could certainly be considered fuel for the crowds reaction.

Heres what I worry about. When a team like the Astros makes it this far in the playoffs a bunch of people end up at the ballgames that are not what I would call educated baseball fans. Don't get me wrong, the sport needs new fans and I'm all for the best for MLB's future. But sometimes I sit in my seat and listen to some of these people yell things and do things that just make me cringe. Unfortunately, some of these people might see what the Yankee fans did last night and assume that its acceptable behaviour at a baseball game. I just hate the thought of young impressionable kid seeing this stuff and thinking its cool.

On a more serious note...........GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and GO PETE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Astros

Now that I've thought about it I would rather the STROS face the RED SOX because I think the Boston fans deserve to beat the Yankees one time in their lifetime and I hate the **** Yankees. If the Astros take care of business tonight I think with all the pitching NYY and BOSOX have been through, they will not have the advantage against the STROS...If we win tonight we have CLEMENS and OSWALT on full rest mind you starting the first two games and then BACKE at home for the third game where he has proved he's almost unbeatable at home....I like our chance regardless...Cardinals are supposedly the best team in baseball and they were suppose to run through the STROS...I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself...we have possibly two tough games remaining with the CARDS......GO STROS!

p.s. I used to be a big AROD fan till he sold out and went to the STANKIES!

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
I'm also hoping to see the Yankees go into extra innings tonight. Like around 25 to be exact! That'll wear 'em down a little more.

Bigwater

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
My opinion has nothing to do with love for the Yanks. I do hope they win the series, but I'll be pulling for the 'Stros if that's the matchup. Just a viewpoint from someone who has been in those big game situations, and would've probably done the same thing. It's not like he was attempting to injure somebody. A-Rod's a pretty classy guy and wouldn't intentionally injure someone, but he definitely plays to win. It's all part of the game, just like sliding a foot out of the basepath to interfere with a shortstop's throw to first on a double play attempt. It's done every game, and if it actually disrupts the play, interference can be called depending on how blatant it is. I was astonished by the behavior of the crowd, though...not typical Yankee fashion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Long time Yankee hater

I've spent my whole life hating the Yankee organizaiton, and still do. But you must admit, it is pretty hard to hate the current crop of players. No matter what you think of their ownership and the buying of World Series titles, its hard to dispute the professionalism of Jeter, Posada, Williams, A-Rod, etc. For the most part, they play the game the way it was meant to be played.

As to who wins, I want to pull for the Sox, but if we do get to the World Series, what better team to face than the Evil Empire??

Go 'stros!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts