2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Academy earlier today and they have a sweet deal on a budget-minded 9mm. It's the S&W "Sigma" model 9mm. Not a "high-end" gun, but dang good buy for a throw-down to have around the house or for friends to use at the range. Heck...at that price it's a great boat/truck gun.

Sale price is $299 and there is a $50 mail-in rebate making the price about $250 for a brand new 9mm.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,021 Posts
As the OP said it is a good drop gun. Something that you could use in an emergency if you need to.

I know someone that got one last year and said it shoots pretty true but the trigger pull is anything but smooth.

·
Smokin' a GULP!
911 Posts
Its better than nothing, and the first rule to a gun fight is to have one, but I surely wouldn't ever want one of my "emergencies" relying on cheap equipment if I could help it.

S&W sigma is just another Glock copy, and really sketchy one at that. While I can see how they want to capitalize on a "cheap tactical" market genre, I wouldn't use this gun for anything more daunting than simple plinking at the range or ranch. Just IMHO :cop:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got a 9mm Sigma last year. After several hundred rounds, it has never jammed or mis fired even once. It's pretty accurate too. The trigger pull is pretty stiff since it cocks the hammer,like a double action revolver. Therefore, it has no safety lever to fumble with. You can carry it with one in the chamber, and just point and shoot. It is also very easy to strip and clean. We are sending 1000s of them to our allies in Afghanistan, and I don't think they are using them for fishing sinkers. I have shot many higher priced pistols, and didn't see much advantage, if any. It's not a bullseye match target pistol.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I got a 9mm Sigma last year. After several hundred rounds, it has never jammed or mis fired even once. It's pretty accurate too. The trigger pull is pretty stiff since it cocks the hammer,like a double action revolver. Therefore, it has no safety lever to fumble with. You can carry it with one in the chamber, and just point and shoot. It is also very easy to strip and clean. We are sending 1000s of them to our allies in Afghanistan, and I don't think they are using them for fishing sinkers. I have shot many higher priced pistols, and didn't see much advantage, if any. It's not a bullseye match target pistol.
No offense at all Dave B, but IMO, if you can't tell the difference between a Sigma and say an Ed Brown or a Wilson, you must not be a very good shot and you must not shoot very often....the differences are HUGE IMO. Again, no offense, i would say go back and try some of the top end models, maybe bench rest them both, and see what you think...just my two pennies.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys I didn't want to start a Sigma bashing thread. Which is why I presented it as stated above...a "throw down" gun that you don't mind clunking around in the boat glove box, tackle box, etc...

Did I buy one...no. But for those that can't afford to drop $500-1000 on a mid-quality to high-end pistol...this could be a decent option. I would rank the S&W much higher than junk like a Hi-Point. That's not to say it's a Sig Sauer or other comparible firearm, but for $250 I do think it's a bargain deal.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Really if the gun goes bang-

Really if the gun goes bang everytime you pull the trigger, it doesn't matter if it costs $1500.00 or $250.00. Actually if it is reliable - the cheaper weapon is the one I would prefer to send to the police evidence locker during the investigation of a self defense shooting.

Again, only if it goes bang everytime you pull the trigger.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
For a quick draw point and shoot at 5-10 yds, I'd be happy with the Sigma. I bet you could put 15 rnds on a close target faster than a Brown or a Wilson.
Seriously? :headknock

quick draw scenarios only work if the gun works...or you're dead. I don't think you've ever owned a Brown or Wilson if you believe this to be true, Dave.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Ed Brown, Wilson, and Les Baer are what you're going to find at the IDPA comps (SSP, CDP, and ESP), not sigmas, and those competitions are timed. I'll agree that at 5 yards you'll hit what you aim at though, and that's what really matters here anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts