2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know if it has been posted yet but there is a pretty good special on the knife jigs at charkbait. for each jig you buy you get a package of assist hooks for one penny- thats not a bad deal on an already good priced jig. vic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Do you prefer the knife style or the rock style Dr? Or are they equally effective? I saw them and plan to order some before the sale ends. bighead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Happens to me every time. Right after I place a huge order, some special comes up.

Bighead, I buy the knifes, but have never used the other. Knifes work very, very well. 7oz is my favorite, any color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Jig -- Guess I'm going to have to take advantage of their special and order some. What size hooks are you using on the 7 oz. and does that size hook extend out beyond each side of the jig??

thanks
Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Texas32,

I make my own, so I'm not sure in the premade. But you do want the hook wider than the jig. I ordered the largest they have in the past. I think I used to get the 5/0 (it was the largest at the time), but I noticed they now have 7/0 and 9/0. Personally, I would get the 7/0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
jig said:
Texas32,

I make my own, so I'm not sure in the premade. But you do want the hook wider than the jig. I ordered the largest they have in the past. I think I used to get the 5/0 (it was the largest at the time), but I noticed they now have 7/0 and 9/0. Personally, I would get the 7/0.
Do you normally run a double hook on top and a single at bottom? Never tried these before, with the buzz everyones making for them... I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Reel Deal Fountain said:
Do you normally run a double hook on top and a single at bottom? Never tried these before, with the buzz everyones making for them... I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks.
I never put a hook at the bottom anymore (and in fact remove any bottom hook attached at factory). I used to run a double at the top, but after a lot of very unscientific testing, I don't anymore. Just a single assist at the top, with a rubber band holding it down alongside of the body of the jig. I think I hook up just as much as I did with more hooks (and definately more than with a bottom hook), and one hook is easier to make (or cheaper to buy), easier to attach, and easier to unhook.

But, that's just how I do it, and plenty of other guys better than me do it differently. Experiment with different methods described on this forum and find what works best for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
I do run doubles at the top and a single on bottom it works for me. I think it is a personal preference. Charkbait's Picture of knife jigs show bottom hooks. Try it both ways see which you prefer. I don't think there is a right or wrong way. I just like more hooks because I feel I have a better chance no matter which end he grabs or foul hook them if they grab in the middle. I don't care!

Reel Deal Fountain said:
Do you normally run a double hook on top and a single at bottom? Never tried these before, with the buzz everyones making for them... I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
I ordered a few doubles and a few singles. I'll try both and see what works best for me. Thanks again for the help.

I've tried searching on here for how people are rigging them up, but really have found much. Anyone have a site I could read about what to use as far as a leader and such?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Reel Deal, IMO, no site has as much info as this one. Search for "assist hook" and you will spend two days reading all the info. That search will pull up lots of topics on many jigging techniques, various manufacturers of jigs (and who likes what), rod/reel combos, rigging options, ordering online, best prices, product successes and failures, etc., etc., etc. You could write a book with the wealth of info on this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Read the whole page but paragraph or page #7 will help you with rigging etc. Lots of good info on this page. Shows you how to rig your own hooks, jigs, ways to jig, rigs to jig, etc. this will get you started all you need to do is add Saltwater!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck Mon.:cool:
http://www.anglers-proshop.com/jigging_101.php

Reel Deal Fountain said:
I ordered a few doubles and a few singles. I'll try both and see what works best for me. Thanks again for the help.

I've tried searching on here for how people are rigging them up, but really have found much. Anyone have a site I could read about what to use as far as a leader and such?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top