2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here keeps their battery hooked to a charger while in storage?

I just stored my boat for first time ever (used to have room at house ...)

I have a charger that has an auto float feature but still makes me nervous.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Many people use the small battery maintainers or large chargers with the same float charge feature built in, with no trouble. I had a charger catch on fire when the transformer shorted out, top name brand charger too, not a cheapy china model.. So while it is rare to have a fire, the possibility does exist. Your choice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check the float voltage and make sure it is below 13.6V. Much higher than that and you will need to add water frequently. At 13.6 or less the battery should be fine- I check ours monthly, and add water about every 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I keep a charger/float on both my boats all the time. However I have found that it is safer and better to plug them into a "wall timer" that only allows them to be turned on for 1 or 2 hours a day. Keeps the batteries charged and only runs 1 to 2 hours a day.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
I keep a charger/float on both my boats all the time. However I have found that it is safer and better to plug them into a "wall timer" that only allows them to be turned on for 1 or 2 hours a day. Keeps the batteries charged and only runs 1 to 2 hours a day.
this,

and keep your cells topped off w distilled water

1 - 8 of 8 Posts