2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have pics because I left my wife's digital camera in the car after I begged and begged to take it. I left on the Double Trouble out of Biloxi, MS. on Thursday night. Smooth trip out. Friday, we went out in 14 ft. skiffs with 15 horse Mercury motors. The fishing was slow but everyone caught a few trout and reds. Saturday was still and the water like glass. The guy in the boat with me caught a 29" red on a spec pattern small Skitterwalk. Most of the fish caught came on topwaters. Between 8 of us we caught about 70 fish for two days. Then the storm came. The wind came up, the rain started and the fish started biteing. Since there were several women aboard and they hadn't ever been out in the Gulf, the decision was made to head in early. It was a BAD trip in with the waves hitting us from the side most of the trip but all in all, it was a great time. I highly recommend Capt. Troy Fountain and the Double Trouble.

·
Registered
892 Posts
what kind of shape were the islands in? i'm sure a big change from last year. glad to hear you atleast caught some fish. really wanting to make that trip. good report.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Islands were in pretty good shape, lots of grass and bushes on them. There are still good flats with grass on the bottom, lots of sharks, sea turtles, gulls and fish. I think a lot of new cuts were formed but the islands are still there and still productive. Someone told me that as long as the Mississippi river flows, there will be the Chandeleurs. It has something to do with sediment and currents.

BTW Anything in Glo was working well!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Headed out with Capt Troy this Thursday!! thanks for report..will head to the tackle box now..just finished packing clothes....8 of us are going boat holds 12...price is about 450-475 pp..leave Thursday nite return Sunday afternoon...

·
www.southtexasfishandfowl .com
736 Posts
Hey nursed, be sure and take you some mansfield maulers to tie your touts to. Those trout love those things down there. I've also had really good luck w/ chrome tops down there. Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Trailer on Top Water

Favorite bait for Chandeleur gress beds is curly tail or paddle tail grub on 1/16 jig head tied 12-16" mono leader to rear treble of 3-1/2" top water like Boone Castana.

The Castana has sloped head that slurps when popped on retrieve. The
Chandeleur trout will inhale the trailer with gusto.

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
I forgot to tell everyone about the food. It was great! I really enjoyed the trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was also on the trip and caught my personal best trout on topwater (23"). They were nailing my bone spook jr. A buddy of mine caught a few 20+ inch trout on a yellow catch jr.

Troy said they were nailing anything with a red tail and a buddy of mine caught 3 one an avocado with red paddle tail on 1/4 oz heads. Drifting seemed to be the most productive method over wading, eventhough I would have preferred the latter.

If you do wade...prepare for some close encounters. I had a 4' shark literally and roughly nudge my thigh as we were wading in his fishing spot on Friday. Thankfully I must have smelled like something not tasty. Also saw the dorsal fins of a very healthy 6-7 footer in the surf cruising the sandbar as we were wading out to it. Pretty scary and exciting at the same time.

Have a great time and enjoy Troy's Jumbalaya...it rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to say it but white Gulp shrimp caught a lot of fish. I saw a really good red caught on a small, spec pattern Skitterwalk. If I had one of those pink ones, the fish probably would have jumped in the boat. LOL

Also, Rod I didn't know you were on 2cool!

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Even with the bad weather, I know it had to be a great trip, Larry. I'm really looking forward to getting back there ... haven't fished that area since the '60s. :frown:

Now you gotta go back and get some pics as well as more fish! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts