2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished off of the Chandeleur Islander Lodge last week and had a blast catching bull reds and some trout. All of the reds were released after a quick photo, the trout were released until the final day when we boxed 68 betweeen the five members on our boat. The accomadations were great on the big boat, good food, cold AC and OK showers. I'm ready to do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Man thats a mess of fish................................................later,Dave

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
How were the sharks? I fished with a guy named Mark Sat.in Port O'Conner whose cousin was there at the lodge the same time as you and said the sharks were really thick, I guess that's always the case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The big red was about 44" long and I'm not sure of the weight, but it was heavy. Took about twenty minutes to land it. We didn't have a lot of trouble with sharks but our boat fished mostly in the surf in front of Big Breton Island. There were several boats that fished on the near rigs and they may have encountered more sharks than we did. The lady fish were the biggest I've ever seen so that was fun to catch for a short period. Plastics were not very productive but what I did catch on artificials came mostly on a pink Corky devil with a rattle. Since the Lodge provided just about all the croakers you could use we did fish with live bait most of the time. It was a good trip.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i gotta ask

not questioning anyone nor debating anything but i live in florida but was wandering what the limits are on sea trout over in texas, the size and the bag was curious b/c here in florida we can only keep 5 over 15" but only one over 20" i wish i could have that many nice trouts either way nice catch man. from across the gulf later guys i enjoy your board.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Fuzzy

Texas trout limits are 10 over 15" - only one of which can be over 25"

The place where this trip took place is considered LA - and is south of the LA/MS state line.

LA trout limits are 25 per day over 12" and no more than 5 over 25" --- the 5 over 25" is really not a restriction it was political to "conserve" large trout in SW LA - the local guides on Calcasieu Lake lobied for a >25" restriction - they wanted it to be 2 -- the legislators enacted an emergency rule but at the last minute changed it to 5. Not too many trips where a single person even comes close to catching 5 trout over 25".

With 5 fisherman and 68 trout these guys were fully legal. IN fact they may have been legal to keep up to 50 per man because the possession limit is 2X the daily limit. It's tricky when you stay out on the water at a "floating hotel" - is that considered your "domicile" or are you still fishing? Anyway - the 68 for 5 guys is plenty legal -- sounds like they had a heck of a trip.

·
Registered
227 Posts
like i said i see that they had five people and i was asking a question b/c i was not fully aware of the laws and limits out side my own state i wrote that i was not trying to step on any one just a little ignorant outside my own fuzzyJR

·
Registered
227 Posts
i am not trying to be a pain

someone will not mention the name has pmd me and pretty much told me not to worry about the laws outside my state so i will say thats fine i was just lerking around all the boards and seen this thread and liked and was curious to the laws that pertained to that state b/c i knew it was greater than my own and i am sure that no one would show pics of any catch beyond any limits but that is not the point so on that note sorry for any problems guys and again it is a great catch. later fuzzyJR

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
If anyone was offended by your post, they need to relax a little. It was a valid question and didn't come off as rude as far as I could tell

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Please do lurk and post here often. Whoever sent that note is not representative of the good folks on this board. Please feel comfortable contributing and know that the pot stirrers are on their way out of town.

FC - 2Cool Mod

·
Registered
232 Posts
"The day after"

Was in the Chandeluers last week as well - Friday through Sunday. Had a good time - trout a little slower than our last trip. Did manage four nice fish over 24".

Best part was Saturday AM when we found schools of big reds. Cuaght all we could handle. Too bad the digital pic of all the kids with their bulls did not turn out.

Did get a couple of my son with some of his fish. The last pic is from last year - our final wade on the final day.

There is absolutley NOTHING BETTER than taking kids fishing!

Anyone looking for a great trip should contact Due South Charters in Biloxi - they runa great operation with great boats!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
limits

I've always read in the Texas regulations that you could have 2X possession if it was an overnight trip but just so you know what the rules were for the Lodge, it was a single days limit. I didn't question the folks and haven't looked it up in the Louisiana regulations. We figured it would take too long to fillet 125 trout anyway. You also cannot clean any fish on the Lodge unless you are flying out by seaplane and then the Lodge is considered the final demarcation point. Curious if anyone out there has ever camped on any of the islands? Are you allowed to do so? The lodges have to leave the islands after the Labor Day weekend, Federal permits expire, but after it cools down a little I'd like to go back and try it again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
IF you want to try it in the fall, you might consider one of the live aboard boats. We take our own boats to fish out of - the skiffs just don't have the range and are a pain - and tow them out and back behind the big boat. Cost is not that much more than the lodge - about $200 per day including tip - if you get a full compliment of people.

I would highly reccomend the Due South bunch - they have a three big boats, and are even preparing a new boat for multiple day tuna trips. I would recommend the Due South III

http://www.duesouthcharters.com/

·
www.southtexasfishandfowl .com
736 Posts
April is a good month to go

We always go in April and have really good trips. Duesouth III is an awesome boat and has a great crew. I've fished on a few other boats down there and this boat is hands down the best. I attached a few picture from yast year. Me and 3 friends had 70 trout (not 12" dinks) & 6 reds by 10am and we didn't have to wade more than 150yards from the boat. We also drug our own boats out there and it's much nicer than the skiffs. Didn't get a chance to go this year and I missed it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts