2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Stihl ms290 20' bar works great love it but,who out there owns a 455 Rancher Husqvarna? and how do you like it?

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Husqvarna 455 Rancher gas chain saw

Compare Prices
Date Published: 6/12/06

The Husqvarna 455 Rancher will meet the needs of the biggest and most demanding homeowner wood cutting chores. It applies Husqvarna's professional saw technology to this residential version. The 455 Rancher replaces Husqvarna's well-received 55 gas chain saw.

The Husqvarna 455 Rancher, with its 3.4-hp X-Torq engine, is a hefty machine, weighing in at almost 13 pounds before attaching the bar and filling the fuel tank. It's big and powerful because it's meant for big jobs. We tested a model with a 20-inch bar. The 455 Rancher features air injection, a low vibration system and easy-start technology. It has a combined choke and stop control.

The Husqvarna 455 Rancher starts without too much trouble, with three or four pulls of the cord when cold. It runs smoothly and reliably once started. And it easily fells trees and rips through firewood. We liked the tool-less chain tensioner, which eliminates the need for tools. The saw doesn't vibrate too much, but it is rather heavy. Luckily, it's also well balanced. We liked the angled grip of the front handle. Because this saw is big, heavy and powerful, you should have some knowledge or experience of chain saws before going into the woods with this one.

This powerful chain saw features optional tool-less adjustment of the chain, a comfortable handle and a flat-bottom body. The bright orange Husqvarna signature color ensures that you will be able to find the saw if you set it down in the woods. You can outfit your 455 Rancher with 18-, 20, or 24-inch bars, depending on your specific needs. Check around for a good price; you can sometimes get a case and extra chain with this model on sale. With regular maintenance, this saw should operate well through many wood cutting seasons.

If you have lots of trees on your large yard or farm, or if you fell trees and cut many cords of firewood each year, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher tool-less gas chain saw will make the job easier. It's big, powerful and reliable. The MSRP of $379.95 is for the powerhead only. Bars can be purchased separately. For example, the powerhead with a 20-inch bar carries an MSRP of $399.95.

Pros: Powerful, starts and runs reliably
Cons: Heavy, requires mixed fuel

Warranty
2 years, limited

Expert Rating Scale

Value
Is it appropriately priced?
Performance
How well does it work?
Ease of Use
How easy is it to operate?
Features
What's included?
Overall
What does Consumer Guide® think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
CoastalOutfitters said:
stihl 029 and get the super micro chain not the low kickback
Can't go wrong with either brand imo. I have a husky 359 and love it. I have run Stihl's and they are very good saws. Might want to look at Echo's as well.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I have used my buddy's Stihl Farm Boss several times and it is awesome!

·
Registered
67 Posts
BTW, get a 20" blade. Should be able to handle everything down in these parts pretty easily. And Oregon chains seem to work the best on my saw. I also have an 18in Poulan. Use it to get out of trouble and for branching a tree. I went through Isabel in VA and had 15 100+ ft. oaks down in my yard/lot. The husky and the poulan both did a really good job.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
neither, get a husky 353 metal bar not plastic same with stihl metal bar no plastic. If you want a good saw try shinadawa spell no plastic bars and no emission control

·
Registered
67 Posts
And one more piece of advise, start the saw once a month to run fuel through it. Mine still runs like the day I bought it. I also do this with my generator, powerwasher, Mercury outboard, etc...

·
Registered
67 Posts
BEER4BAIT said:
neither, get a husky 353 metal bar not plastic same with stihl metal bar no plastic. If you want a good saw try shinadawa spell no plastic bars and no emission control
Was not aware that any chainsaw had a plastic bar (seems like heat would be a problem). You are talking about the cutting bar?

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love my MS290 Stihl, just wanted to hear what people said about their Huqvarna's 455 Ranchersince those were the two brands i was looking at but, i went with the Stihl instead.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
petersr2 said:
Was not aware that any chainsaw had a plastic bar (seems like heat would be a problem). You are talking about the cutting bar?
Not the one you hold on to, when and when it breaks it can run 175 for the parts to fix it. They also run the exhaust back through the case for emission control on the home models. The Husky 353 is one of the last true ranch/home models built like a comercial without the comercial price. 353 comes with an 18" bar but mine has a 22" now. The Shinadawa's all have comercial quallity all metal coveres and bars.

·
Elder Angler
985 Posts
CoastalOutfitters said:
stihl 029 and get the super micro chain not the low kickback
The 029 was replaced a few years ago with the MS290. Stihl says the MS290 is their best selling saw.

I recommend Stihl, but that's based on 20 years od Stihl ownership. I'm sure the comparable Husqvarna is a good unit. I would stay away from 99% of the others out there.

Also, my local dealer recommended Echo 2 cycle oil as the best going.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BEER4BAIT said:
Not the one you hold on to, when and when it breaks it can run 175 for the parts to fix it. They also run the exhaust back through the case for emission control on the home models. The Husky 353 is one of the last true ranch/home models built like a comercial without the comercial price. 353 comes with an 18" bar but mine has a 22" now. The Shinadawa's all have comercial quallity all metal coveres and bars.
Guess I did not notice a difference as my 359 is steel. Also, I was reading on a arborist site that the new saws (green fuel cap) have a cat muffler. This can be changes out.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ive got a stihl 290 and a 390 both work really well. I do have a small husky 142 at my ranch in mason to cut up small mesquite trees with. It runs good too.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I have a crappy Polun (sp?) and for the life of me I cant keep the chain tight. I will be buying a good saw this weekend.

I was considering the Stihl or an Ecco... I see more ECCO's in the hands of tree service people than any other..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts