2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cevechi offshore Freeport Report

On board with Tex were Mark (not me different one), Justin (I think) and myself. We originally were going to leave late and spend the night at Tequila but Tex changed the plan due to impending weather Thursday night, and that was the right call. We met at Bridge Bait at 6:00 and were on our way with the first bit of light. If the seas were as calm as forecasted we were going to head to Stetson rock and try for some Aj’s, grouper and kings. As were broke the jetty the seas were flat and we were on our way. There were a few scattered weed lines out around 30 miles and we stopped at the biggest one and made bait and put a handful of chicken dolphin in the boat. We left the dolphin biting on out way to bigger fish. Just after we passed A50A, around 50 miles out, a storm popped up around us. According to the radar it was a small cell with a little lightning in the distance and we punched through, despite the cell growing around us and seemingly following us for nearly an hour. The wind kicked up and so did the seas, but they still were not bad enough for us to give up on the rock.

Just inshore of Stetson, there were two shrimp boats, but there was no one home but sharks and big blue runners. Once at Stetson, we slow trolled the baits and had cuddas all over us. The first one up had an AJ following it, but we were too slow with the pitch bait. A few cudas later another AJ followed him up and I was ready with a bait and shortly after hitting the water the bar jack was nailed. After a lengthy fight, we sunk the gaff in a 55 lb AJ. We were running low on bait and the last few were taken by cudas. We had some baits close to the bottom for the last two drifts, but they never got touched, so we decided to go to a nearby rig and try for grouper and snapper and whatever else wanted to play.

There was an anchored shrimper on the way, so we stopped to see who was home. It was not looking good as we pulled up but we chummed and threw out a few baits on kingfish leaders. After about 30 seconds I see a silver flash and I am bowed up, as is the other Mark. I figure we had kings, and I should mention this was Mark’s third trip offshore. Anyway after the fourth strong run from my fish, I start thinking it is something other than a king and sure enough a few minutes later a nice blackfin tuna comes to the boat. About 15 minutes later Mark gets his blackfin in as well. It was a lot of fun watching a new bluewater addict in the making as this tuna was really giving him a workout. We proceed to pick up 5 more blackfin for a total of 7. They were all about the same size, we weighed the largest back at the dock and it weighed 23.5 lbs. We had to leave them biting as we were running out of fishbox space and ice, what a great problem to have. We made it to the rig and tied up for a little while to try and add some red dusting to the box but they were not cooperating and we needed to get back to the dock.

It was a great trip and was nice meeting Mark and Justin. Thanks for the invitation Tex. Tex has the pictures and will post them when he gets a chance.

Mark

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Enjoyed the report Mark, look foward to the pics.

Tex is a great guy, and that Parker is a real pretty boat.
Glad you were able to get out, and back safely with the weather.

How long did it take you to get to Stetson?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the Piolt House is very nice when a little weather pops up. And it is also nice to be albe to sit in full shade if you need to cool off. It sure makes the boat seem a lot bigger as well.

Mark

·
Registered
403 Posts
I really enjoyed the trip, lots of fun, would have been nice if the cuda's would have left us alone a stetson.

With the weather we went through the trip would have been hell w/o the pilot house.

Justin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pics

Photos of the trip.

1. Other Mark fighting his first ever tuna
2. Justin fighting a tuna
3. Tuna will wear you out
4. Aj on the scale at the dock
5. Group shot of Tex Justin and other Mark at the dock
6. Justin and the two Marks with the boat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
mark
glad you got out on thursday. great that you caught a few tuna before you head off to the left coast. thanks again for you and emily meeting me for dinner on wednesday night. sorry about sending you out to catch barracuda. the kingfish are usually thick out there and not cuda's. i am also surprised you didn't get a few snapper at the rigs in the area....rick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think everyone was more than happy with the days results, we had a box full of fish and left them biting. Plus the cuddas give you a pull just like anything else, and Mark caught a monster than took quite a while to get in. We thought it was an AJ for sure. We did not bottom fish at the rig for long. I only made one drop to the bottom with a medium hardtail looking for grouper or a big snapper, but came up empty. Nothing was interested in a diamond jig either.

Mark

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Tuna's

I fished that same group of shrimp boats just inshore of Stetson on Teusday. We hit them really late in the afternoon/evening. Were your tuna's really deep? We had to let the freelines settle down around 75 ft before they picked up. A small weight, the one with the rubber band thru it worked well. I'll have pictures of our Teusday trip up soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts