2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buyer beware. Went to buy a new cell phone at one of the kiosks in the mall. Asked the sales rep if I qualified for a new cell phone, he said no. I bought a 'no frills' phone for a total of $162. I immediately noticed it wouldn't hold a charge; my daughter said it looked like a refurbished phone. Took it back 2 days later, the salesman swapped out the battery and phone - no problem. Still wouldn't hold a charge. My wife took it back two weeks later and the salesman said he did us a favor the first time. He said we had brought him in damaged phones and we were out of luck, he was not doing business with us again!

Called Corporate Customer Service and found out the following: 1) Yes, I really was eligible for a free phone. 2) the kiosk had sold me a 2006 discontinued phone that could now be bought at Walmart for $20.00 and 3) the Corporate offices are in no way affilated with the kiosks and cannot help me recover my $162.00 (although he did send me to the retail store in Pearland to claim my new phone that I was eligible for in the first place).

There are a lot more details to the story that would blow your skirt, but to make a long story short...watch where you buy from. I believe in supporting the local merchants in my community, but guess I will have to rethink that. It's the second time I'll ever buy from those scammers - the first and the last !

·
In the snake den
2,908 Posts
Sorry you got burned. I've pretty much resolved myself to only buying from a place with a storefront in a mall for pretty much anything other than maybe a t-shirt or calendars.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,232 Posts
I think there is an email in your inbox from a Nigerian Prince that wants to give you $5,000,000. Give him $10,000 bucks and he will tell you how to get it.

Just messing with you.... good thing it was only $162 not an old high dollar phone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Make an appointment with the mall manager, he might like to know what a scammer he has operating in his mall. It may not be the first complaint he/she has heard about him.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
And the name of this phone service is ..........?

·
Registered
820 Posts
What mall? Let us know so we can avoid it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have written a letter to the Better Business Bureau (for whatever that's worth). I also sent a copy of the letter to the Mall Manager and the Cell phone corporate office. I don't want to bash the Mall by giving their name away, and I hate to give the name of the cell phone company, since I have a feeling each and every provider has similar stories - but I will say that it has the letter 't' in it.

I could have spent that $162 at Academy bubba.

·
Hunting & Fishing
839 Posts
Check Ebay for a new battery, I just bought a new one for my phone for 4.95 and free shipping. Now it works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts