2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last trip out of POC in late June I landed (at that time) the leader of the Snapper division for the Star tournament. Since then I have been bumped back to third, but glad to still be on the leader board. I put together a Youtube video for that day and here are a couple pictures. We fished the day before out to 55 miles offshore looking for grouper, snapper, and trolling. On this day we stayed around 100ft of water and focused on just getting our limit of Snapper and getting back. It was a little sloppy and we didn't see any other boats out that day. We caught a bonus Ling on the first drop, then some nice Mangroves, and finished it off with a few snapper.

Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Seafood

Water Sky Cloud Boat Fisherman

Wood Seafood Gas Fish Fish products

Water Sky Boat Cloud Fisherman

Water Sky Cloud Shorts Boat

Water Boat Sky Cloud Fisherman

Youtube Snapper Video

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome fish!!!!!!

Did you measure it?

I was trying hard to make the 20 lb. cut........best I got was a 32" fish weighed right at 17lbs.
The fish measured 34.5” long but the head was huge on it. I have caught some that were longer but weighed less. I used a digital scale I had on the boat and it weighed in at 22lbs and a couple ounces. But using the POC fishing center scale it ended up at 20lbs 10oz.

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
1,694 Posts
This fish was tight to the structure. We were catching the mangroves on the way down to the bottom. I slowly drop the bait down as most of the time they are suspended up above the structure.
I’d love to have me some ~8lb mangroves. They grill up beautifully on the half shell!

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Nice fish. My big one last year was 22# 2 oz, but out of the last 15 or so years, last year was the only one I didn't register for STAR. :(

What rod/reel is this? I also fish correct, aka lefty and have been looking for a smaller SPJ type setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice fish. My big one last year was 22# 2 oz, but out of the last 15 or so years, last year was the only one I didn't register for STAR. :(

What rod/reel is this? I also fish correct, aka lefty and have been looking for a smaller SPJ type setup.
The reel is a Penn Fathom 400 Lefty on a 2-4 6’6” Goofish Black series rod. It has been a great combo. I have caught AJ, snapper, ling, big Jacks, and a 6ft shark on it. I set the drag around 15lbs and use my thumb help slow the bigger fish down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeap I saw that one posted. Back when I caught this fish there was only 2 others on the board. Mine was the largest, then a couple weeks later I got pushed back and back. I didn't think a 20lb fish would hold the top spot as there are a lot of 22-25lb fish caught out there that hardly get weighed in.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
The reel is a Penn Fathom 400 Lefty on a 2-4 6’6” Goofish Black series rod. It has been a great combo. I have caught AJ, snapper, ling, big Jacks, and a 6ft shark on it. I set the drag around 15lbs and use my thumb help slow the bigger fish down.
Thanks. I had a few pages open of smaller lefty reels but must have closed it and not bookmarked them.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Just had a chance to look it up, I was thinking the Fathom was a different style reel. I've seen Matt out of AU catch plenty of big snapper/grouper with a Lexa 300 on a nomad pe 2-4 rod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had a chance to look it up, I was thinking the Fathom was a different style reel. I've seen Matt out of AU catch plenty of big snapper/grouper with a Lexa 300 on a nomad pe 2-4 rod.
they make a fathom conventional reel anda low profile bait caster style. I have 2 25n conventional and this 400. They have both been great reels. I looked at the Lexa and the Shimano also. The fathom sold me based on the line guide tracks left and right when the drag is pulling. The shimano and Lexa do not do this.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Ok at work and looked at my bookmarks. Looks like no updates on having any lefty models.

The Shimano Ocea Jigger Star Drag was one, but still no lefty.
Penn Fathom II Star Drag was on that list. Again no lefty, but I like the 8XN and 12SD for our waters.
Okuma Tesoro Star Drag.

Less high on my watch list.
Okuma Cavalla 2-Speed Lever Drags (they do have lefty)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok at work and looked at my bookmarks. Looks like no updates on having any lefty models.

The Shimano Ocea Jigger Star Drag was one, but still no lefty.
Penn Fathom II Star Drag was on that list. Again no lefty, but I like the 8XN and 12SD for our waters.
Okuma Tesoro Star Drag.

Less high on my watch list.
Okuma Cavalla 2-Speed Lever Drags (they do have lefty)
Penn Fathom Low-Profile Baitcasting Reels
The Penn Fathom 400 Low Profile is here in a lefty.

The Penn Fathom 25N Lever Drag in a lefty can be had. I don't see if available on Penns website in the 25N but I am sure you could find one. They only built the 25N, 30, and 40N in a lefty I believe. They also have a new Fathom Lever Drag real coming out that they release at ICast. It looked nice.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Penn Fathom Low-Profile Baitcasting Reels
The Penn Fathom 400 Low Profile is here in a lefty.

The Penn Fathom 25N Lever Drag in a lefty can be had. I don't see if available on Penns website in the 25N but I am sure you could find one. They only built the 25N, 30, and 40N in a lefty I believe. They also have a new Fathom Lever Drag real coming out that they release at ICast. It looked nice.
For jigging style fishing, do you like star or level drag reels better? Why?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts