2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Looks like CCA is finally coming to its senses regarding the fatally-flawed idea of relinquishing states' rights to federal regs.

The SOS guys are NOT happy.

Well, CCA, kudos to you on this smart, important move to bring some sanity to the process.

Tom

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Nov. 10, 2009

CCA urges states to resist flawed federal policies in Gulf
Anglers cite lack of faith in federal catch share management of red snapper, grouper

Faced with the unwelcome reality of having two popular recreational fisheries managed by a fundamentally flawed catch share system in the Gulf of Mexico, Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) has taken the rare step of not supporting Gulf state compliance with federal regulations for red snapper and grouper. The decision to support "non-concurrence" with federal regulations is a sign of growing dissatisfaction with federal management policies.

"We did not make this decision lightly, because concurrent regulations are clearly a positive for the proper conservation of most fisheries," said Chester Brewer, chairman of CCA's National Government Relations committee. "I cannot recall many times when we have supported non-concurrence, but this is a sign of how little faith anglers have today in the federal government's management of these fisheries."

Catch share systems bestow a percentage of a public fishery resource to a select group of commercial fishermen, based on their catch history, to harvest for their own personal gain. CCA has acknowledged that such programs can be effective in purely commercial fisheries, but present serious problems for recreational anglers when applied to fisheries that have both commercial and recreational participation.

"We have seen the problems in the Gulf red snapper fishery that have developed since catch shares were implemented in 2005, and the lack of any effort to fix those issues," said Brewer. "How can we ask the states to comply with federal regulations that are the product of a dysfunctional management scheme? In fact, CCA has filed a lawsuit to prevent a similar program from being implemented for Gulf grouper. We feel that we have to draw the line somewhere until the government addresses the concerns of recreational anglers."

In a recent joint letter to U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke, the governors of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama joined CCA in its concern over the catch shares concept. In a powerful statement of the states' apprehension in following a flawed federal program, the governors letter states, "Recreational fishing is an important activity in all of our states, and one that we would like to see continue to grow as a healthy activity for the public. However, we are concerned that NOAA policies could frustrate our ability to do that."

"We see a major train wreck coming in the Gulf, and not just in these two fisheries," said Brewer. "We don't think the states should jump on board."

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
'Bout time. Love the "fundamentally flawed" aspects. Somebody is feeding the CCA some pretty good info, or they're playing their cards a little smarter. IN either case, my hat goes off to 'em.
- digger sam

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Put them Redfish stickers back on the truck and send in that $35!

:rotfl::rotfl:

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
I ripped CCA when they fought to impose rediculous federal limits in Texas state waters, so Now I have to congratulate them for coming around 180. :cheers: I agree that we need CCA and their money on our side, but after my last CCA t-shirt got turned into a fish rag, I think I may still want to wait a while before I go buy another.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
My Thoughts

Maybe they will help us play Cowboys and Enviro's for a while so we can level the playing field. Our gun barrels have been over heating waiting for reinforcements at RFA. LOL

With out our influence they would have still been pushing catch shares!!!

I just hope they don't pull their troups when the heat is on as the Folks in Europe did in the Gulf Wars.

Reactions: Unbound

·
Team Naughty Cool Fishing
846 Posts
I just had an argument with some of my fishing buddies last weekend about how CCA wasnt on our side. Does this mean that I really lost. Well atleast they are comming around. I will also wait just a little while and make sure that there arent any more busses comming to get thrown under.

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
sos plan

Howdy,
Here's the mass email sent out by Jarvis in response to CCA's action - he's not happy. I highlighted in blue some statements that I believe to be false propaganda to further their agenda - what do you think? I believe that the rec sector wants accountability - just NOT SECTOR SEPARATION.

Note that he claims that the CFH sector now has a limited access accountability system - exactly what is that?

Subject: CCA has made a stand ,through the CFH sector under the bus

Well well , I did not want to say I told you so to those that clung to the cumbyah crowd, of lets all stay together,safety in numbers and we need what's best for all recreational fishermen,we can get the private rec's to be accountable....... To you federally permitted charter for hire business owners who bought into that story line perpetrated by some of the leadership in the charter for hire industry , this is for you.....I TOLD YOU SO !

Below is the stand of the largest organization that represents the private recreational fishery inshore and offshore. they dwarf RFA and any other organization in size ,money , and membership. The other organizations have already been publicly documented as taking the same position of non compatibility (RFA Florida and Texas) on federal regulations in general and have nothing to do with catch shares.

So what you ask? Well Captains under rule 30b ALL CFH vessels may not fish for any species under federal management unless the federal seasons for those species are open. This stand of states should not be compatible with federal guide lines just threw you under the bus. All fish caught by private recreational fishermen while you sit at the dock are also taken away from your season the following year. This stand by CCA is a official stand against all of your recreational fishermen and you.

I have sent countless numbers of anti charter boat postings from the fishing blogs gulf wide for 2 years to let you know that this is the underlying feelings towards our businesses and always have been for decades.Of course not by all people but enough to raise alarm in my mind as the competition for fish has got tougher and tougher.

I saw this coming since the CCA got bashed by RFA members after the Tampa gulf council when CCA tried to embrace catch shares as a way for reallocation of fish through free markets instead of political reallocation.It would include a level of limited access. They did the world record backstroke at the next GC meeting in Orange Beach.

Since then all private recreational representatives have taken a scorched earth policy. They prefer no accountability ,no tag system (limited entry) ,and have taken a position that they would rather have a 10 day season or no season than to have a limited access accountability system that the Commercial sector and CFH sector now have.They know that if the NMFS closes a season that their membership will vastly increase generating funds and political clout.It is all about the MONEY They are willing to do that at your expense and that of your recreational fishermen.

If that is CCA,RFA choice of strategy then they can live with the out come. SOS does not see a 10 day or less season as a strategy that is condusive for our families. Sector separation and our own data collection system ,ACL,AM will prevent the scorched earth policy from taking us down with the private recreational leadership. Time to get off the fence support SOS and your recreational fishermen now !

sink or swim! time to chose read below............

Under the guise of catch shares the CCA has thrown the CFH sector under the bus.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I ripped CCA when they fought to impose rediculous federal limits in Texas state waters, so Now I have to congratulate them for coming around 180. :cheers: I agree that we need CCA and their money on our side, but after my last CCA t-shirt got turned into a fish rag, I think I may still want to wait a while before I go buy another.
I was wondering what T-shirt that was when I was cleaning that nasty old chum bucket! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Howdy,
Here's the mass email sent out by Jarvis in response to CCA's action - he's not happy. I highlighted in blue some statements that I believe to be false propaganda to further their agenda - what do you think? I believe that the rec sector wants accountability - just NOT SECTOR SEPARATION.
Tom do you have the email addresses he is sending this to? I'd love to be able to respond to those CFH captains regarding this.

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sos plan

Rodwade,
No - looks like a one-way message stream.
Tom

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Jarvis

He is realy trying to down play the RFA. Dwarfed we are not. LOL We did seem to make CCA pay attention and reverse their hard stand for catch shares.

We are not the kid on the block.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts