2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Tight Lines, CaptDoug
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our Houston area CCA Interchapter challenge Saturday and a good time was had by all. Lucky to say the San Jacinto Chapter finaly took first place with 32 something lbs weighed in. Northwest Chapter came in second with 29 something. And Bay Area Chapter was third this year. We weighed in our 2 reds, 5 Trout and 1 flounder. Bay Area has won this thing for the last two years so it was nice to finally de-throne them. I had the pleasure of fishing with one of our chapter members Mark Hooker who took me to Chocolate Bay. Mark knew the area pretty well, I have never fished Chocolate so it was nice to go to a different place. We had a very good day compaired to many others we talked to at weigh-in. Action was pretty slow for us but the fish were all quality fish. I managed 1 25" Red first thing on a Top water and Mark picked up a couple of 17" Trout. Alittle later we managed to pick up 3 21" and 1 19" Trout on dark colored soft plastics. On the way in we tried one last time on a reef we fished earlier were I caught the Red and Mark picked up another nice 25" Red. Talked to some of the others that had more action but smaller fish. One other team member Eric Renteria was fishing Choclate also and came in with 2 Reds, 1 going around 27". The 19 1/2" flounder came from Charlie German fishing Trinity Bay. Most of the teams were fishing East Bay and caught quite a few fish but not many of good size. All in all it was a great time, the fish fry was very good. Thanks Capt. Kyle for your cooking expertise. Good friends, good fishing and good food, it don't get no better than that. Hope someone will post some pics. My camera was having a bad day.

· I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,606 Posts
Good time

Well, I was very proud of our team.
We got 2nd. Last year we didn't even get a red.

Our guys caught a dozen or so keeper trout under birds in Trinity.
We got a good red at Snake Island. One good trout and a good flounder in Christmas. We could have used a couple more good trout.

The food was good and look out for NW next year.

· I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,606 Posts
I sent out emails and spoke about it.

I sent out several emails and talked about it at the last 2 meetings.
We had fliers at the banquet. If you want to get on our active email list come to the meeting and the membership committe will get your name on that list.
Oh, I (& my wife) am the membership committe....ect....

But it is not advertised much. One of the other chapters put it on.
Great Job. It was postponed back when we had all the rains.
I could have really used some help. All the other teams had many more participants.

If you can make it to our bi-monthly meetings. There is usually a trip, project, or tourney that we talk about. Sometimes it Kidfish. Our next chapter meeting should be Oct 5th. Probably at SRO's. You should get a mailer.

NW Houston is responsible for the Houston Area Kidfish. We have had over 100 participants in the last year.

I am in Cypress also. But you might be Tomball.
They were there also.

· Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Doug

Well it was good to see such a nice crowd at the event and I promise to buy a new cooking thermometer so I don't burn the fish next year. I'll run down the brief history of the tournament. A group of the NE Houston Chapter board members decided we needed to have a fun, not so serious tournament to bring new members and hopefully recruit new board members. We discussed the proposal with friends in the Bay Area, West Houston, Central, and San Jacinto Chapters and set up the event for June of 2002. We had about 45 people attend that year. In 2003 we expanded chapters to include the Tomball/Magnolia, Trinity Bay, and Mainland. We had around 75 attendees in June 2003. This year we added Galveston, Alvin/Pearland to the invitation list. I think we had about 60 anglers this year, only 46 signed in at the door but it wasn't mandatory to sign in.
Not to slight anyone but we haven't invited every CCA chapter in the Houston area because we weren't sure of the numbers and didn't want the event to get too big too fast. Not all of the chapters invited responded. This isn't a sanctioned CCA event, just a bunch of CCA members getting together. My method of contacting CCA boards is looking in the CCA Currents newsletter and getting the chapter president's email address and sending the invitation. Sometime they respond sometime not. If the event does get much bigger I'm going to need additional help!!
Now kudos! Thanks to John Keller of Marker One Marina, to Bob Evans our DJ, weighmaster, announcer, and musician, to Larry Beavers for the financial aid, manual labor, and sound advise, and to all the members who helped with the cooking, set up, tear down and cleanup. I hope to see you all again next June. Capt. Kyle.

· Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,408 Posts
Only info I every receive from them(cca) was to send in my dues to join star. I've never known where the meetings were to attend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.