2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother & I went to Caye Caulker, Belize over the Labor Day weekend. Fished for three days with our guide, Piggy. We each landed a tarpon, Travis' at 80# and mine at 100#, both caught on a Calcutta spooled with 30# fireline. We broke off about 7 more tarpon and lost 3 or 4 more on pulled hooks. Travis jumped a big one around 140# right before I landed mine on the third day, but it broke off after 4 or 5 jumps. Lost 3 white/red head superspooks to smaller tarpon (~50#). The weather was great, light winds and no clouds. We hooked most of our fish on big floating crankbaits, and a few on dead bait and topwaters. Caught a bunch of big barracuda and snapper also, saw several big brown manatees while fishing too. Couldn't catch a bonefish, they were waaay too spooky, our guide couldn't even catch one on a flyrod. Caye Caulker is a nice place, but definitely not a "touristy spot". We had fresh grilled lobster straight out of the water 3 of the 4 nights we were there. We'll definitely be going back next year.

Video (4.6 MB file) of a couple of the tarpon is at:

http://users2.ev1.net/~jtharris/tarponD.mpg

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
I love Caye Chaulker, I spent a week there two years ago. It was sweet. I didn't bring my fishing gear (thought it best as I was on my honeymoon) so I watched every morning as waders caught bones right behind our hotel. Next time I will be prepared. Looks like Piggy put you on some fish!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts