2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One Hell Of A Spoonie Killa
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just a little currious on how many of yall out there have cavitation plates on you boats and how much of a diffrence it makes on the ride. Plus on where i can get one the cheapest. Ive only seen two on thats white, fiberglass and one thats black, plastic. any feedback will help

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
If you have a tunnel hull then a cav plate is probably a worthwhile investment. They really help when you jack your motor up. You can run your motor higher without losing grip and less slippage in turns. If you do not have a tunnel then it will probably improve hole shot and you to run at a higher trim level. I have a Shaw Wing type of plate on my boat and would not be able to run without it; extreme elevation on my rig. As for ride improvement, I don't think a plate will give you that; trim tabs may be the way to go. My boat has both tabs and plate. Where the plate really helps is in shallow water. If you routinely fish in 12" or less then that plate will help you out on hole shot and shallow running. I would recommend a clamp on type such as Shaw Wing or Shallow Blaster. I don't like drilling holes to mount the plate. Be prepared to loose a little on the top end if you install a plate.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts

·
One Hell Of A Spoonie Killa
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See the boat that im planning on putting this on is a kenner proskiff and it does have a tunnel but only have a 40hp w/ no tilt&trim. would a manu. jackplate work fine along w/ a cavitation plate. Plus im just currious where and how much you paid for your cavitation plates.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
If you actually have no tilt and trim don't put a cav plate on the motor. Get a set of Step-n-Trim tabs and mount them instead. Most cav plates will run you between $200 and $300 and without trim you won't get the benefit of that investment. This is just my opinion.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Is the boat square/flush across the stern? The reason i ask is, If the motor sets in a pocket you might loose turning radius. If it's stuck out on the transom you shouldn't have a problem. A manual jack would help set up the right height with the cav plate. Not having trim could be a problem. With any type of cav plate you going to be lifting the stern and pushing the bow down. If your limited on your trim then you could be bow plowing on top end. And if you adjust for it you'll lose hole shot and push the bow way up in the air. The key is to find that fine line where you help your hole shot and not effect your top end. I have a set of step'n tabs and if i had the chance to do it again i'd go with these..
http://www.nauticusinc.com/index_1024.htmlhttp://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=24438
They'll give you your money back if your not happy.
The best part is that they retract up when on plane and you don't lose any top end. They also adjust when going across chop with the built in shock absorber.
--Hop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts