2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which gives you the best bang for your buck for hole shot in skinny water? Pros and cons of each? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
The right prop and cavitation plate. Trim tabs are a crutch for badly designed hulls if the first 2 can't correct the issue.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,454 Posts
Start with the prop. Nothing will be right until the prop is right. Hole shot props won't be fast. Fast props won't hole shot.

Tabs down will for sure help your jump as it forces up the rear reducing your squat.

Antiventilation (is the proper term) plate will help hold water on the prop when raised high on jack plate for running....and help keep prop from pulling down air when you give it the gas to jump.

It is all a balance. They all work together. None of them will perform to the extreme on their own.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,454 Posts
The one Tran makes holds the most water on the prop for the extreme.

The Shaw is a well designed good all around install. But that Tran plate to push your rig to the limits.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The right prop and cavitation plate. Trim tabs are a crutch for badly designed hulls if the first 2 can't correct the issue.
Your statement about trim tabs is simply incorrect. Along with the other ways they can be effectively used, they can help any hull get up quicker in combination with the other factors. And some hulls are not designed to get up as quickly as others in shallow water, that hardly means they’re badly designed.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Your statement about trim tabs is simply incorrect. Along with the other ways they can be effectively used, they can help any hull get up quicker in combination with the other factors. And some hulls are not designed to get up as quickly as others in shallow water, that hardly means they’re badly designed.
You are right, I should not have used the term "badly designed" as it can be misconstrued. But in my opinion it is a crutch to help boats not designed for a specific purpose, ie. a boat to take off shallower that is not designed to, or help a boat not porpoise when trimming out, or help it not lean while underway

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
810 Posts
You are right, I should not have used the term "badly designed" as it can be misconstrued. But in my opinion it is a crutch to help boats not designed for a specific purpose, ie. a boat to take off shallower that is not designed to, or help a boat not porpoise when trimming out, or help it not lean while underway
This is only slightly correct because trim tabs can be used to flatten out a listing bit due to wind on a T-top, keep the bow from bouncing in rough water, get up shallower than without tabs (all shallow water hulls get up shallower with tabs) and also run shallower by lifting the stern. Tabs are a tool, not a crutch.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
This is only slightly correct because trim tabs can be used to flatten out a listing bit due to wind on a T-top, keep the bow from bouncing in rough water, get up shallower than without tabs (all shallow water hulls get up shallower with tabs) and also run shallower by lifting the stern. Tabs are a tool, not a crutch.
I trust you, you are a professional

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
That's what I'm saying. I added them to my 10' Jon boat with my supercharged 2.2 hp sears roebuck outboard and when I lowered them the dang boat wouldn't move. Now when I raised them it was a whole different story. 2" hole shot in hard sand and 57.8 mph in a 2' chop. But like I said before, that was a perfectly designed hull that didn't need a crutch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is there a particular good set of smaller trim tabs that would work good on my Majek Xtreme 25? I have dual power poles right in the middle of the transom without much spare room.

·
Registered
50 Posts
how do you use that ladder with the powerpole there?
It was there before the PP and had put the safe floor around it so just left it. Actually came in handy this summer. Saw a guy who had been throw from his jet ski and it had floated several hundred yards away. This was 30 ft of water on a lake. Big ol boy… I wasn’t pulling him in and he wasn’t climbing on board over the side being exhausted.

Put power poles down all the way, then the ladder and he was able to climb in. So to answer your question… yes it still has a purpose in case of an emergency in deep water.

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
It was there before the PP and had put the safe floor around it so just left it. Actually came in handy this summer. Saw a guy who had been throw from his jet ski and it had floated several hundred yards away. This was 30 ft of water on a lake. Big ol boy… I wasn’t pulling him in and he wasn’t climbing on board over the side being exhausted.

Put power poles down all the way, then the ladder and he was able to climb in. So to answer your question… yes it still has a purpose in case of an emergency in deep water.

In your instance since you were going with 2 powerpoles, I would have did the adapter plates off the jackplate instead of mounting to the transome. It would leave that space open for using the ladder and adding lenco trim tabs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In your instance since you were going with 2 powerpoles, I would have did the adapter plates off the jackplate instead of mounting to the transome. It would leave that space open for using the ladder and adding lenco trim tabs.
I wanted to but was told there wasn’t room the the way the xtreme transom has such a deep inset.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts