2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm can't wait until they blow-up the causeway this morning. That should scare all those fish down here!
Get the net........LOL

·
11,765 Posts
jhj415 said:
Galveston Causeway is meeting the bay floor this morning. ^%*& that is gonna make a great reef!
I thought they had to pick all the material up. Some folks wanted it for offshore reefs but they said it was too expensive to transport. Has this changed?

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
I read the demolition company was going to do a test explosion to make sure their plan was going to work. The plan included "trained" observers on site to make sure no birds or fish are harmed in the process. I also heard that they planed to take the debris away to another location

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
The company building the bridge has bought a concrete crushing plant on harborside. That is where all the old concrete is going. They crush it then reuse it in the new bridge.

·
Gone Fishing
11,998 Posts
TomCat said:
I read the demolition company was going to do a test explosion to make sure their plan was going to work. The plan included "trained" observers on site to make sure no birds or fish are harmed in the process. I also heard that they planed to take the debris away to another location
And turtles too, if a turtle is in the area they cant blast until it is out of harms way. The cant even hurry it along. They have to wait. I believe this to take place at 9AM today.

·
Old School 2cool
8,271 Posts
GALVESTON — The Texas Department of Transportation will shut down the Galveston Causeway at 8 a.m. Sunday.

Demolition crews will test procedures for removing underwater sections of old bridges.

Interstate 45 will be closed in both directions for about 30 minutes.

On Sunday, the crews will conduct a test on a single pier foundation. The test involves procedures for controlling traffic and protecting marine life.

If all goes well, demolition crews will return July 30. The demolition of the old concrete piers will require that the Causeway be closed briefly for the next six months.

The department also conducted a traffic study to determine when traffic is lightest during daylight hours.

·
Salty Dawg
7,718 Posts
I just grabbed the picture from the Galveston county news's website. I keep my boat at Payco and planed on going over there to watch the explosion but didn't make it.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Does anyone know what the idea was to leave the old pilings from the old causeway that runs from Corpus toward Portland and Ingleside? Everytime I drive over that and look down I shudder at what those things, which are barely visible from up above, could do to a boat at even low speed, much less high speed.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I Heard The Explosion This Morning While Wading The Dike. The Water Came Alive With Fish Scattering Everywhere. Pretty Cool. I Would Have Liked To Watch,but The Urge To To Catch Fish Was Greater.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts