2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing several nights ago and flipped a nice 25 inch slot redfish into the box. Didn't look that close at it. Just as I finished filleting it at home I noticed an algae coated tag laying along its dorsal fin. This tag appears old as algae growth was almost an inch long on the tag. The tag is red and about 4 inches long. I can't see any writing on it but the algae covers most of it and I didn't want to scrape it off and damage any writing on it. What is it and who tagged it? Suggestions?

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,926 Posts
During STAR, looking for a tag is the first thing I do with a red...

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
I have 3 red tags that I have pulled from redfish, all 3 have Rockport printed on them. There is also a # printed on it, that is the tag #. The algae will dry then it will be easier to remove.

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
My Brother inlaw caught a tagged redfish during the star, wrong year fish tho

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Not all tagged fish are STAR fish, some are study fish that should be called in with catch info. Look closely at it once you clean the algae off. Those tags are pretty tough to damage. There should be contact info on the tag.

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
I tell you those boys from the ghetto can tag anything. When did they get waterproof paint? B&P

·
Registered
120 Posts
my 1st redfish on a fly had a tag in it. i suspect yours is a TPWD tag and if you can read the tag info call them. They'll send you info about where the fish was tagged and big it was then.

My fish was caught in Christmas Bay, but was tagged / released near Rockport and migrated up. He had grown several inches since release and it was kinda cool to see the history.

·
Registered
713 Posts
TP&W tag fish. If you get one send in the info and they will sent you back the when and where of the fish etc. Kinda cool actually. I haven't caught one in a few years but they also send you a dollar for your trouble!.

Byron

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts
I caught a TPWD tagged red about 8 years ago in Greens Bayou, West Matty. Called it in to TPWD and they sent me a certificate and crisp $1 bill. It had been released almost exactly one year earlier, in Green's Bayou. I guess she never left!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts