2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
14,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was chilly starting off at 9:00, and stayed that way until I came in around 2:30, the wind blew 9 mph out of the North and gusted to 15 mph.
After I got some good drifting bait, big shad and a couple of drum, I went as far north as I could to get a break from the wind from the bank.
It was good for about a 1/4 mile then all of the drift socks went out all the way, then the big bucket with holes drilled in it went out.
All that kept The Wild Frontier skipping along at .6 mph and .7 to.8 mph on the rock.
I made one long drift about 1.2 miles and caught ten blue cats only two were small the rest were 20" to a 31" 16 pound at the top end. It was a good fish, better than I have seen in a while. Several were 28" there seems to be a lot of blue cats that size.
The drum was the ticket and and all of the fish took a long time to finally hook themselves, the shad just wasn't tough enough with the rocking wind to hook up on your one chance with them as bait..
All fish were released.
Fin Fish Seafood Tail Wood

· Registered
14,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That bluecat was the key to finding some more big ones Saturday at the tournament.
Team "Old Schoolers" took the first place win and big fish, Scott Frerichs, and Will Joehlin were my team mates.
We stuck with a game plan we had put together and I am glad we did as it paid off in the tough conditions.
The high wind determined our game plan which was anchoring off over structure first and then drifting the area where the fish above was caught. The first stop anchoring we caught one blue cat and had a big one break off. We tried a another spot with no luck and then started drifting.
I had bought a 6'x8' tarp at Lowe's the day before as I knew none of the drift socks I had would slow us enough to cover the good spot in a 12 mph wind with 20 mph gusts.
Scott engineered the making of the drift Frankensock and it worked keeping us at .6 mph and .8 mph on the rock in gusts to 22 mph.
The big fish, 26 pounds and some change took it down like a bull red fish at about 9:45.
We drifted the same area over and over loosing a lot of bait and eventually Will snatched a 16 pound blue out the water and we knew we might be in the running.
A shout out to Don McAdam's for hustling our bait from Long King Creek with a cast net.
Beautiful small carp, drum, carpsuckers and buffalo. We had some big shad too, but caught nothing on it.

· Registered
14,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes after the front the big ones bite well, but really strong fronts seem to shut things down for a couple of days. they may just shut me down for a couple of days though, lol!
The first fronts of the year get them going pretty good as they start feeding when the water temps fall. The water temps fell about ten degrees over the last two weeks or so.
The big fish we caught last Saturday were on the front side of a front pulling strong south winds up before it got here.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, Loy… This is Michael and Linda, you have taught us a lot so far. We look forward to more times together. I just wanted to ask you about these fall weather fronts, as I have been reading and watching a lot of articles and videos, and seem to have a common thread about these fronts: a falling barometer is the best bite fishing for catfish. We’re going to put it to the test this coming Thursday, and here’s a screenshot from Weather Underground showing a falling barometer Wednesday to Friday:
Product Rectangle World Organism Font

· Registered
14,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Thursday looks very good, catch em! And give us a report. I would have things ready to go a spot to fish picked out, as it seems to me the best time is when the pressure first starts to fall, which looks like early am.

· New to the Hunt
3 Posts
We did go out that Thursday, and did alright…and then gave the barometer another test just yesterday when the conditions were likewise the same. We hooked up 17 good ones, and the cats seemed to gobble up everything. I had fresh shad I’d netted that morning, a fresh gizzard shad for cut bait, and a bag of frozen shad we had saved from the shad spawn earlier this year. It didn’t seem to matter what I put on the hook.

If you notice, there’s a silver drum there that I was so glad now to keep (most people have said to toss ‘em, and nick-name ‘em “Gaspergoo” in a derogatory way) now that I understand they are great cut bait for cats, oily & bloody & and tough enough to stay on the hook. Can’t wait for my next trip to try some of your drifting.

The evidence is stacking up that a falling barometer brings a voracious bite.

Road surface Wood Gas Cooking Food

· Registered
14,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent, keep up the good work and reports. I went out this morning and did some catch and release white bass fishing and some drifting.
White bass were fair today and the cats were biting very good.
Experience tells me that drum under 3 pounds are best for bait with a small drum head being killer big cat bait in particular.

· Registered
3,403 Posts
We did go out that Thursday, and did alright…and then gave the barometer another test just yesterday when the conditions were likewise the same. We hooked up 17 good ones, and the cats seemed to gobble up everything. I had fresh shad I’d netted that morning, a fresh gizzard shad for cut bait, and a bag of frozen shad we had saved from the shad spawn earlier this year. It didn’t seem to matter what I put on the hook.

If you notice, there’s a silver drum there that I was so glad now to keep (most people have said to toss ‘em, and nick-name ‘em “Gaspergoo” in a derogatory way) now that I understand they are great cut bait for cats, oily & bloody & and tough enough to stay on the hook. Can’t wait for my next trip to try some of your drifting.

The evidence is stacking up that a falling barometer brings a voracious bite.

View attachment 4626036
That’s some good eating fish. Great report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
14,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have eaten a lot of the small drum, under two pounds and they are tasty, a real distinctive flavor. I use to fish for them in The Little Elkhart Creek below Houston County lake, there used to be good walk in access to the wing dam there. Every spring you could follow the spawning of the different species as they showed up at that dam. Fist a wave of crappie. then yellow bass, then male white bass, then just about everything would be in the mix.
You could see clearly as the water was transparent. there would be a spot were a small bar would create an eddy and shad, white bass, crappie, buffalo, drum and suckers would all be mixed together. That would be the peak of things, about the last week of February, but before that each species would make a run that would last from a day to three. I would go often and looked forward to seeing which fish was making it's move. The drum run would last a while and the ones that made it that far were small males from under a pound to two pounds. I used a fly rod and whatever grasshoppers, frogs, etc..I could catch or crawfish raked out of a ditch. Or a plastic black ant, which was hands down the best artificial.
They were great fun and good eating. I wish I had a steady supply of them for drifting bait!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts