2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
All my friends say.....
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a very shallow runnig boat and today I found the Reds in the LLM in about 1.5 feet of water. I launched out of Arroyo City and headed south. The grass was long enough that there was only about 8"of water above the top of the grass. The water was crystal clear. I could see the Reds all over. I threw everything I had. I got out of the boat, I threw spoons, mirror lures, plastics, everything. The Reds would turn on the bait, come towards it, then take off.

What did they see or not see that caused this. Was it how I was presenting the bait, or was what I had not what they wanted?

Man, I thought I was gonna get worn out from catching all the Reds I saw until I tried to catch them.

Oh well, I did manage 7 keeper trout 17-19.5". Of course that was in deeper water that was green not clear.

·
Always Chasing Tails
203 Posts
Reds

If you have reds following your lure and will not take to stop reeling sometimes they will inhale it then. Another is if they will not take anything they will usually blast a Gulp Shrimp. I have seen on days they will not hit anything they will take the Gulp.

·
11,766 Posts
If your not already doing so try using flourcarbon leader material. Sometimes they will hit it if you stop and just twitch it when they turn on it. Sometimes you have to just burn it through them. Basically vary your retrieve speed.

·
15,099 Posts
Thats not uncommon in the warm months...........
Reds get real finecky(sp?) in the summer time with all the small crabs and shrimp around to eat.
I've seen it many times.............try again
A clear bubble and a small crab immitation like the DOA or shrimp works.
The buble keeps the bait out of the grass and lets you know where your bait is at all times.
I've thrown at sight casted reds for decades and that wrks for me.

·
All my friends say.....
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will try the suggestions next time.

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
Ditto,
what Redfishr and TooTall said, and also fishburger statement about downsizing is IMO very accurate, I have had GREAT luck in downsizing as they get finicky, and Fluor leaders on my braid has worked wonders , although, I like Gamma Copolymer line and Definitely P-LineCXX. I keep things scaled down if they present finicky.. Here lately not a problem ..

·
H3 Titanium the ultimate in rod design.
646 Posts
Dead stick um.

Use a scented bait like Gulp shrimp or even better a Gulp crab when site fishing.
Lay it out there in their path and let it sit, do not work the bait, let the baits scent motivate the fish.

Ranger Bob

·
All my friends say.....
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Ranger Bob, I could kick my self. I have some of those Gulp crabs in my box. I thought about throwing them, but that was after I left the area and way later in the day. I will try them next time with floro leader and the clear ball to keep them on top of the grass.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
yes, downsizing can work well. People often say "the bigger the lure, the bigger the fish." This can be true but I have cleaned a lot reds with very TINY crabs and snails in their bellies. When they key-in on certain foods they can get particular. Here's why: if plenty of small shrimp/crab/snails/worms are available they are not going to expend the energy to chase baitfish or any other "hard-to-catch" prey. I have lots of redfish on tiny flies. Its like filling up on popcorn at the movie theater!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts