2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been an offshore fisherman for quite some time now and haven't caught ONE grouper in my experiences yet.Was wondering if a rig in 150 ft of water is deep enough to hold grouper?Also,what do you use for bait?I hear that you should put a live bait down on the bottom put i'm not sure about this.Any tips to catching and finding grouper would be great!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I've shot gag and scamp grouper at the first rig out of the big jetties at POC, so the smaller grouper are there anyway.

I've seen jewfish at the 20 mile rigs out of POC and the water depth there is only ~100 ft, so I would imagine some of the larger grouper would be in that depth - only not hanging around the same rig as a ~300# jewfish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We caught a 50 # this year on a live pinfish in about100 ft of water. But that was early this year I think they go deeper in the Summer

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
The key for the grouper, AJ and large snapper is in the bait. You generally need live bait and piggy perch seem to be the best at that. Sails and dolphin cant resist them either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can catch them shallow, but will have berrter luck in deeper water. Sometimes they will"nipple" at your bait(live is good) and you just have to anticipate it and start reeling with your circle hooks. If nothing on, then send back to the bottom or maybe a foot off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts