2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month or so, everytime i go down to Galveston for some fishing, i stopped by to catch some baits by the 45 feeder marsh and noticed all the baits are gone. Are they just moving to the deeper water now like the game fish do? Where are some good places to catch bait (mullet or shrimp) this time of the year??

·
15,099 Posts
Its winter, they are pretty much out of the shallows till spring...
Cant say I've ever caught bait in the winter, always just threw plastics...
But I have seen small mullet jumping in the 4 foot of water stuff...

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
You will only find the bait up in the marsh this time of year on sunny warmer days. As far as finding bait right now. If your in a boat go up into canals off main bodies of water and look for the silver flash for mullet. The shrimp are deep right now or out in the gulf. You rarely see shrimpers working the bay systems this time of the year. They are either out in the gulf or in the deeper channels.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will only find the bait up in the marsh this time of year on sunny warmer days. As far as finding bait right now. If your in a boat go up into canals off main bodies of water and look for the silver flash for mullet. The shrimp are deep right now or out in the gulf. You rarely see shrimpers working the bay systems this time of the year. They are either out in the gulf or in the deeper channels.
thanks for the tip, im a kayaker like you SH. Never try to throw a castnet from a kayak before, might have to learn if im gonna catch any bait in this cold weather.

·
Hector
1,019 Posts
thanks for the tip, im a kayaker like you SH. Never try to throw a castnet from a kayak before, might have to learn if im gonna catch any bait in this cold weather.

Gotcha covered Charlie. I also kayak and I learned how to throw a cast net from one using this method. It took me a little while and I use a 4' radius net. Try it first in shallow water or in your back yard sitting on something around the same height as your kayak seat. Hope this helps. -Hector

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122746

1 - 5 of 5 Posts