2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am practicing throwing a cast net off my pier and I catch a little mullet. I think to myself "Self, it would be great to catch a big ol' trout or snapper with that mullet!" Then the brain starts devising a plan to build a live well to keep this mullet and a few of his buddies and cousins in until such time as the good Lord allows for me to go fishing. Is this a legal idea or will PETA come screaming? I have a big plastic barrel to start with. I figure a little ingenuity would produce some fine bait for a future meal. Any thoughts?

·
yakfisher
805 Posts
We did it all the time. catch bait under the lights at nite and then have it fresh for the mornin trips. even were able to keep some of the scrimps that were left over from trips and throw them back into the tank. make asure you have a way from fresh water to be in the tank at all times.

·
fish control my brain
7,727 Posts
Think about an O2 system

It will keep the bait spunky and happy

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
A guide here on Lake Belton keeps shad in a 5' diameter screen pen. It has floats around the rim and a floating metal lid to keep the birds out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i have a 35 gallon plastic barrel that i drilled a bunch of holes in and i have a swim noddle ( i think thats what they are called) wrapped around the top so that it will float up right, then i built an upside down L frame and bolted it to my dock, i use an old trailer wench to raise or lower the barrel, i just keep 3 or 4 dozen in it at a time and they stay alive without any problem, finger mullet is my favorite live bait. this time of year they are plentifull in my canal, menhaden shad will keep also but you cant put more than 2 dozen in at a time and do not touch them they will die almost instantly. hope this gives you some ideas good luck
mr.b

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Runway said:
I am practicing throwing a cast net off my pier and I catch a little mullet. I think to myself "Self, it would be great to catch a big ol' trout or snapper with that mullet!" Then the brain starts devising a plan to build a live well to keep this mullet and a few of his buddies and cousins in until such time as the good Lord allows for me to go fishing. Is this a legal idea or will PETA come screaming? I have a big plastic barrel to start with. I figure a little ingenuity would produce some fine bait for a future meal. Any thoughts?
How long do you need to keep them? If more than a few days you should research the principles of keeping a saltwater fish tank. Freshwater will evaporate causing your salinity to spike. The nitrogen cycle becomes important. Temperature spiking will be dangerous. Etc... If you own that pier you may want to install a recirculating pump into a plastic 55 gallon barrel out there. The pump would constantly pump new seawater into the barrel and then the barrel will simply overflow (put a screen on the overflow) back into the sea. This should keep oxygen supply good, will remove wastes and ammonia that are building up, and if you have enough flow through there will keep temperature consistant.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
we use 2 55 gal plastic drums drilled full of holes , put a couple or three bricks in it to make it sink quicker, make a lid out of 3/8 plywood with a hinged section in the center to let you get into it, i used galvanized chain to make a sling then fasted this to nylon strap that i can winch it up an down with. you can keep any kind of bait alive in it as long as the water is good an salty. in the summer we use a pump to recirculate the water to help if not much tidal movement . If you keep bait in them for any length of time throw a little range cubes in them for feed.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
After 3+ years in the Middle East working with our boys in green I did not know what I was going to do with the foot lockers that I used to ship personal items back to the states. I took three of them and put in line connected with 1" PVC and fittings rigged to allow the water to flow thru but not allowing the bait to go thru. I connected a submergible pump to the first one and drilled hole along the back side of #1. This allows me to keep shrimp in the first foot locker, finger mullet in #2 and others in #3.

A word to the wise......Don't put porgies or pin perch in with your mullet, mud-minnows or shrimp. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts