2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much white bass action for me this morning. No shortage of gar, bet I saw at least a dozen rolling on the surface. I suppose they serve some purpose in the ecosystem, just wish they did it someplace besides Livingston! I left a Ducktracker slab in it’s eye as a souvenir which is where I hooked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
In God We Trust
1,505 Posts
Shadslinger is going to have to start "Trophy Gar" trips to his bag of tricks. Need to start keeping some and helping out folks with the grocery bills. I have a mexican buddy that would hack out alot of meat from a 4 footer and smoke it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That’s a good one. Should of put him in the boat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caught one below the dam about 6-7 years ago during a spring flood when the water was really high and releasing 50-60,000, cant remember. Probably 25lb ish needlenose. Finally got him to the side of the boat and the 2 idiot buddies in my boat with me said "that's a trophy gar, maybe a record, let's put him in the boat and measure and weigh him". Big mistake!!! Got him in the boat and it went bizzerk. It came after me and bit me in the leg. In full panic mode, I climbed up on the front deck and sat on my leaning post lifting my legs up and almost fell in the rushing water while its thrashing and flopping and my two idiot buddies are on the back deck laughing their arses off. It finally settled down and got some pics. Really didnt care if it was a record or not, I just wanted it out of my boat. I wrapped a rag around its snout so I could get a firm grip and when I threw the the stupid thing back the rag got tangled in its teeth and rag and fish both went in the water. Never again will I put a gar in a boat without killing it first.
Water Rectangle Snapshot Font Recreation

Water Shorts Boat Watercraft Sky

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Caught one below the dam about 6-7 years ago during a spring flood when the water was really high and releasing 50-60,000, cant remember. Probably 25lb ish needlenose. Finally got him to the side of the boat and the 2 idiot buddies in my boat with me said "that's a trophy gar, maybe a record, let's put him in the boat and measure and weigh him". Big mistake!!! Got him in the boat and it went bizzerk. It came after me and bit me in the leg. In full panic mode, I climbed up on the front deck and sat on my leaning post lifting my legs up and almost fell in the rushing water while its thrashing and flopping and my two idiot buddies are on the back deck laughing their arses off. It finally settled down and got some pics. Really didnt care if it was a record or not, I just wanted it out of my boat. I wrapped a rag around its snout so I could get a firm grip and when I threw the the stupid thing back the rag got tangled in its teeth and rag and fish both went in the water. Never again will I put a gar in a boat without killing it first. View attachment 4622727
View attachment 4622726
Lol I never put them stinky things in the boat. My dad use to keep and clean them but I have no desire to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts