2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize if this discussion has already occurred.

What are everyone's thoughts regarding cats vs. monohulls? My partners and I are looking to upgrade our offshore rig and trying to determine which way to go. We currently fish a 26' center console monohull.

There are many differing opinions and we want to make sure we've thought everything through.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I keep hearing cat for our choppy Gulf. I'm interested in both a great ride...and fuel economy, so I'm studying the cats. I would like to learn more about the Australian designed cats....aluminum built cats....there's so much out there.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Gravois Aluminum Boats

Address:

6816 E Admiral Doyle Dr
Jeanerette, LA
70544-6510
Phone: (337) 364-0777

They make a great Cat boat in aluminum that I have fished out of Grand Isle before.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Before we got our big boat we fished a 25' seacat with 150 suzukis. Tons of room and the ride was amazing. Four footers were like two footers a same size grady white that i have fished out of. It does take some time to get used to how it handles when it turns (doesnt lean into a corner like a mono) but handles ten times as good when parking or in tight spaces due to the motors being so wide apart. We also had a 350 to four hundred mile range with two hundred gallons of gas. If i were to get a boat in the 25 to 35 range there would be no question what i would get.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Each have there pros and cons. I ended up going with the mono because of the speed and efficiency. I still have a good ride but not like a cat. I like being able to cruse at 40 and cats just can't do that. Cats aren't really that efficient either.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Cats???? We've got too many of those around the barn and when they come on the porch Mamma shues them off with a broom. Ain't never seen any monohulls around the barn but I guess they will show up some day:)

Forrest Gump

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
it is my understanding that gravois is only making gov contract boats now.....they are bigtime now......that is what kevin beach said, he is the guy in venice that runs one....we were out in that boat in solid 8'+ seas and it was awesome....it outdid the 31' glacier bay that the other guys were on....

·
Registered
128 Posts
cats

jokers right , unless you split one or both of the hulls like alot of the glacier bays have . gimme a mono for all the right reasons ! btw i run a 28 ft hydrasports and i can handle 6ft seas all day ( ok not a smooth as the cats ) but way more practical !!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
OK, I'm going to have to respond to this one. I've got a 28' or so aluminum cat with cabin forward and full house. It's a New Zealand design which my brother and I built over the course of a year of weekends and nights. It's powered with twin Honda 150's, three blade props. Reading the comments above, I'll comment:

Speed. Monos are faster. They've got less hull drag. So, if you're one of the gold chain guys, you'll never be happy unless you're talking about an asymmetrical racing hull and true speed...where cats rule. But if you want to run to Baker at 40 knots, and can stand the ride and fuel, look to Yellowfin, Contender or one of the excellent monos.

Efficiency. I've got a big 28' boat with full cabin, separate head and a wheel house that seats 4-6. It's got a good sized fishing cockpit. It's about to have in deck fish boxes when I get around to it. It holds 100 gallons of gas in two tanks. We cruise at 18-28 knots, depending, and average better than 3 mpg. Now, this is a fully planing hull. It is not a displacement or semi displacement like Glacier or WC, which typically get about half this mileage in real world but have a better headsea ride. But it's nice to be able to make two offshore runs on 100 gallons, so I'm happy with the compromise. It rides far, far better than the Grady sailfish, hydrosport, shamrock, privateer, aquasport, and others too far back to recall. Our top speed, with fuel and some pax is 40 knots, full to the pins and tweaked to the max.

Handling. I've never owned a high performance mono of this length but I expect they're easier to run. If you want the cat ride into the slop headed out, you can get it...leaving the 31 Bertrams and such far behind, but you're going to be doing some piloting. She'll launch off a direct head sea. True, the landing is without pounding, rather a solid sounding thump...but I don't like getting thumped either. So, when that 5-6 rears up among the 3's, you gotta hit her at some angle. That makes the hulls work really well together, and you breeze right through, but you got to have an eye on the sea. Heading back in, however, with our full planing hull, just shove the throttles forward and point her in the right direction and relax. Never, ever shown any tendancy to broach.

Beauty. This one really makes me want to puke, but if you're looking for a beautiful floating babe which you will want to polish, wax, stand back and admire the traditional lines and so forth...look elsewhere. I find lots to like about the seahandling and efficiency of my rig.

Strength. I'll be glad to engage any recreational fiberglass boat in a strength contest, winner claims salvage. Two years of hard running, never a failure of any sort.

Fishing. Biggest problem is all the mahi that want to hang out in the shade of the tunnel. She's reasonably comfortable at rest, especially compared to some deep v's I've owned. The motion is different, however, not a long period roll from side to side, but two quick short rolls per wave. Takes some getting used to, but overall preferable for me.

I'm seeing a change in the marine market coming, people are still going to fish but they're going to look twice at 600.00 fuel bills for a weekend. I think efficiency is going to displace top speed as a priority, more like the guys down under. With this in mind I feel like I've got as near perfect boat as I'm likely to ever see. Really, when you stop and think about it, there's no such thing as a fast boat, there's boats that are faster than other boats, but for speed you need wheels or wings.

Chuck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Skypoke - thanks for the well thought-out post. I'd also like to see some pics.

Going to trial a Cat and some longer monos today.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts