2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1st mate and I tried some drifting today. Got on the lake at 9:30 and off by 2:00 PM. Chilly but a beatiful calm day. Great to be out there with my 18 year old son.
Drifted cut bait, chicken livers, octopus and some speckled fish inards all around the conflunence of Kickapoo and the river channel.
Got completely and totally skunked.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
That make me feel better knowing even the best get skunked, cuz I always get skunked.

I was a beautiful day though. My face even got sunburned at my son's soccer match.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
The drifting has been hard to be successful on so far this year, texasGG has even been skunked, and he taught me the tricks. For one thing it seems every time i get set up the wind dies down and it's all over but the crying. You have have enough wind to push you at least .2mph, between .2 and .5 seems to be the sweet spot. 35 to 45' water is also the best depth and there is just a little of that depth in that area. keep trying when it get right it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,896 Posts
octopus...man that's some exotic bait. Only tried to eat those things once....and that was once too many for me and I love seafood.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
octopus...man that's some exotic bait. Only tried to eat those things once....and that was once too many for me and I love seafood.
My Filipino Baby is always buying stuff that she forgets in the freezer. Octopus, squid, frozen Bagus (milk fish), shrimp and green mussels all make good bait. She also buys a paste in a jar that is made from dried shrimp roe, garlic and chilies. Makes darn good dip bait but kind of expensive.
One thing about octopus, if the fish are biting good one chunk will stay on the hook all day. If you drive a hook through about a two inch length of tentacle as big as your thumb you will have to cut it off after the flavor is faded away.
Escargot snails are also very good catfish bait. I always use them in Louisiana where the cats speak French.

·
Reelrednecks Fishing Team
567 Posts
Sunbeam, you need to crawl in the boat with me and my Dad sometimes. Can't guarantee anything but we always have fun drifting..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts