2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a quality castnet. I need something I can throw using the proper technique. El Cheapo castnet that I use now doesn't get the job done. I have tried the fabric softener and all that, and I leave it out of the sun, hanging to keep the monofilament stretched.

So, nylon or mono, and what brand (I assume custom, someone hand making them in Florida or on some tropical island) do you guys who use them use/prefer?

·
Banned
317 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by cheapo, most castnets I have seen or puchased are around $19-$20 and they work fine for me. I have been throwing castnets mono and nylon for a long time without any problem. Maybe it's a size or thechnique problem.

·
All my friends say.....
7,432 Posts
I have found the size can greatly impact the effect. Too big and it won't work for me. Could also be the technique, but I am now using a $25 mono from Academy that is about 8 feet wide. Most casts are good, but if I am in the surf, I cannot get very deep and throw it effectively.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The effectiveness of a cast net is all about material and water pressure, the more dynamic the material (mono) the larger the mesh ( less) water pressure, get a good mono net for what you are targeting, larger mesh for larger bait fish, the larger the mesh, the faster it sinks, also ask about lead weight count, you can get a good net from Memphis Net &Twine, they have all different sizes (mesh and diameters) if you can't spread a big net you're defeating the whole purpose, get something your comfortable with.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,871 Posts
I think there are videos on the internet...I started out with a three foot net and now I can throw a 6' net. It's all in the technique. I taught a 60 year man how to throw his in 5 minutes this weekend.

I do envy those islander guys that can throw those 12' nets. That is art.

Leemo, What do you mean by water pressure?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Water pressure, when any type of webbing is pulled through, or sank(cast net sinking), the water has to be dispursed somewhere, so if the water is constricted by the size of the webbing or the material it is made out of, instead of the water passing through effictively, it is pushed out front, thus pushing the bait away, example- drag a 5 gallon bucket through the water, hard to pull; now cut the bottom out of the bucket and pull it, easy, same princple.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Nets

Betts or Calusa, both cost more than the academy nets but are better nets.
If you do a lot of casting around rocks or where the net can get hung buy the Academy net. I would go with the mono, 3/8" mesh, and a 6 footer. Gater

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
Bought a 4' with Black rope (rope color makes a difference) from Boudrouex(sp) in Winnie. It was only $24 and a world of difference from the Academy versions I have owned.

James

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Headshaker

If it's 8ft tall it's illegal. Just a heads up, 7ft/14ft diameter is the biggest allowed in Texas. I used to have a 10ft and 12ft but got rid of them because I could not legally use them. Gater

·
All my friends say.....
7,432 Posts
I tried one of these and did not like it. I took the ring off and now use the net without the ring as a second or is it third cast net. I have a real small one, maybe 4 feet across, too small, then the 8 footer, my favorite, and then the perfect cast one. I think it is 10 feet across, do like it much, hard to thorw in deeper water.

bluefisher said:
throw it like a pro every time well worth the money

Wes

http://www.perfectcirclenetthrower.com/HTML/products.htm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts