Votes: 43 78.2%
  • Nylon

Votes: 12 21.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new one today to replace my old one, but wanted some opinions on mono vs. nylon. Also, what size net do most of you throw?

·
Banned
829 Posts
5ft not to heavy

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
6ft w. mono

I prefer a 6 ft w. mono.

Wouldn't own a string if you paid me.

·
Roll Tide!!!
2,974 Posts
6 foot mono. I had a nylon once, and gave it away.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Nets

The biggest legal one I can buy, which is 7ft and mono is the only way to go. Gater

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
This is a no-brainer. Mono all the way. Size is a little more contraversial. IMHO it should be the largest net you can handle under the conditions you will be throwing in. I personally have two nets, a 6' and a 3'. I use the 6' 99% of the time, but if the bait is just out too deep in the surf for me to handle the 6' net, I will resort to the smaller one.

Incidentally, unless it comes with, I replace the rope that comes with the net with a 3/8" braided poly rope. It tangles much less.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Picked up a 5ft mono during lunch today.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Jeff

Were did you get it was going to post that I picked one up at Academy. 5ft for about $20.00. I just lost 2 off my trailer coming back from PINS few weeks ago.

Scott

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vinsp said:
Jeff

Were did you get it was going to post that I picked one up at Academy. 5ft for about $20.00. I just lost 2 off my trailer coming back from PINS few weeks ago.

Scott

Scott,

I got mine on the side of the road on my way to PINS today. LMAO

Just kidding, Academy had them marked down to $19.88. They used to be about 26 bucks for the 5 ft mono, so I was happy with that. I also finally picked up a good dipnet for my livewell. I got so tired of chasing mullet in my tank with that little mickey mouse 3" wide dipnet with a wire handle! I got one now where they can't run and hide anymore! MUHAHAHAHA !!

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
4X4FOREVER said:
Why are the mono nets better than the nylon? I just checked and mine is a 5' nylon. is that why i cant throw it worth a chit!
Oyster shell ... had a 6' nylon since the '80s ... not a cheapie, it's limp and cast very well, but I only use it in the surf.

Nylon tears up too easy in the bay. Especially those cheapies at Academy.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
4X4FOREVER said:
Why are the mono nets better than the nylon? I just checked and mine is a 5' nylon. is that why i cant throw it worth a chit!
Mono sinks faster and is less visible to the bait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts