2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys might want to be careful about sharing, (bragging) about the nice shrimp you guys get for booze. Fact is, any man of the law would know this. There is a reason why shrimpers will give you lots of amounts of shrimp for beer, that is, because they cannot leave port with alcohol! Any man of the law will tell you that providing these guys with alcohol is HIGHLY ILLEGAL! Be careful because each member of this forum may be easily found. I'm not trying to sound like Dicke the Game Warden Law man, but it might be wise to share that information with PMs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was allways under the understanding that they could, but since they were at sea for 2 months or more it runs out rather quickly. But I'm no shrimper.

Anyone got the real lowdown?

I can't see how you can regulate that they cannot leave port with alcohol. They are out there for months and sure as c r a p (dant the software even edits out that word!) aren't on duty all that time...every shrimper we came up to in the heat of the day Saturday was taking a siesta.

I thought I had reached an epiphany about that this weekend. I did it the "right" way and stopped by PJ's in Aransas Pass and paid $23 ($7 per pound) for large gulf shrimp....you tell me which is cheaper, that or a stinking case of bear for 40lbs of shrimp? Sheesh......ok if they can't have beer, what else do they crave! :)

Shoot, on my 5 day on the Shogun a few years back off of Guadalupe the locales paddled their WOMEN out for trade! (no takers)....unfortunately we couldn't legally obtain their awfull nice looking rock lobsters either (looked more tasty than the women too).

Earl

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Smokes work too but you didn't hear that from me!

If trading beer for shrimp is all law enforcment has to keep track of then it is a slow crime day.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
And sometimes the daily news...............................later,Dave

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
way, way out staple items like paper towels and toilet paper make good trades.

I've heard that some of the Vietnamese shrimpers will not trade for beer, but will for Gatorade.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I was thinking a whole stack of Penthouse mags would be worth a fortune.....maybe dump the whole net on your boat.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks guys...my next trip on a private boat I'm taking a big bag of strange trade items then :)

Earl

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Hmm what is the law going to do if you are in international waters? That is kind of a stupid statement if I do say so myself. Unless it is international law and the international police are going to come take us down......

·
Registered
579 Posts
Argo said:
Hmm what is the law going to do if you are in international waters? That is kind of a stupid statement if I do say so myself. Unless it is international law and the international police are going to come take us down......
Now that is a very good point as the exchanges almost allways occur there....watch out for those interpol patrols...they are everywhere..

Earl

·
Registered
642 Posts
It is not illegal to have beer on a shrimp boat and it is not illegal to trade beer for shrimp. Shrimpers don't take beer to sea because it is dangerous to mix alcohol and work, especially at sea. Thye will usually take the beer you trade them and stow it below and maybe break it out on the ride in. They might drink one or two for supper but usually there isn't much drinking at work. The best currency in the gulf by far is marijuana, but I would highly recommend nobody doing that. Every year one or two (or more) deckhands fall overboard becauseof it and are never heard from again. My favorite thing to get from fishermen was always that day's newspaper.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
I tried trading beer for bait and shrimp a couple years ago and the shrimper refused. Destroyed my faith in shrimpers.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The International Law

Hey Guys,
Our buddies in the orange striped boats can arrest you on any waters on the planet earth. Their jurisdiction only stops at foriegn demarcation lines. IE 9 miles from the Mexican Coast, Japenese Coast and so on. They can arrest. board or seize and US registered vessel in any international water.
It is Illegal for any commercial fishing or trawling vessel to leave port with alchohol.
Try a bottle of cheap rum. Usually a plastic container and they will love it. Make sure you have shrimp in hand before tossing up the goods. If your not happy with your bag, tell them and they will give in for the juice.

So I've heard.

·
Registered
642 Posts
CHA CHING said:
Hey Guys,
Our buddies in the orange striped boats can arrest you on any waters on the planet earth. Their jurisdiction only stops at foriegn demarcation lines. IE 9 miles from the Mexican Coast, Japenese Coast and so on. They can arrest. board or seize and US registered vessel in any international water.
It is Illegal for any commercial fishing or trawling vessel to leave port with alchohol.
Try a bottle of cheap rum. Usually a plastic container and they will love it. Make sure you have shrimp in hand before tossing up the goods. If your not happy with your bag, tell them and they will give in for the juice.

So I've heard.
Well that's a new one to me. I've never heard of anyone being arrested for having alcohol and I've been boarded by the coast guard when there was beer in plain view but Cha Ching's posts are always spot on so I'll take his word for it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Santiago??

Did you read it?
I said commercial vessel as in shrimpers, trawlers, commercial snapper boats.
Nothing to do with recs and charters.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts