2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carbed 150 Yamaha that is having a hard time starting first thing in the morning. This is the first carbed motor that Iv'e owned and am not sure if there is a trick to easier first starts. Once running, it starts easy all day long. Does it need to be adjusted? The motor has about 15 hours on it.

·
A drinking town with a fishing problem!
565 Posts
It probably has what is called a "Prime Start" system on it. When you start it in the morning, you need to flip the key to the ON position and leave it there about 15 seconds then turn it over to start. I called my dealer with the same problem on my new yamaha and that is what he told me and it seems to have stopped the problem for me. Its odd to me that the owners manual does not mention that in the starting section.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I have a carbed 150 Yamaha that is having a hard time starting first thing in the morning. This is the first carbed motor that Iv'e owned and am not sure if there is a trick to easier first starts. Once running, it starts easy all day long. Does it need to be adjusted? The motor has about 15 hours on it.
What yr? None of the carb motors had a prime start that I know they were all butterflies Take the air cover off and push the choke and make sure the choke butterflies are closing all the way. The little wire that gos from the choke silanoid to the butterflies might be a little stretched if they close all the way might try crank it and choke at the same time for a few seconds then check your primer bulb give another little squeeze and try again the 85 I just rebuilt was like a old johnson hard when its cold but fires up all day after the first start.

·
565 Posts
Thats odd, Yamahas web site show prime start as "Standard" on carb motor. I read my owner's manual and found that there was an emergency bypass valve on the Prime Start pump on carb #2. There is also an extensive discussion on Iboats.com about how the system works with the carbs and how to by pass it.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2434745

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My motor is a 2008. Thanks large! I will look into both of those suggestions. I'm so used to my fuel injected model....one flick of the key,, and it's running. I hope I haven't made a mistake buy getting a carbed motor.

·
565 Posts
Sorry, I just got the phone with Yamaha and they said the "mid range" carbed engines, mines a 90, DO have Prime Start but yours will not have it. Sorry for any confusion, I was just trying to help....

·
565 Posts
Mine is a carbed two stroke, but its nothing at all like the 94 Evenrude I replaced with it. My new Yamaha I just flip the key and then wait a few seconds and bump it and it will start. Then when its warm enough, the RPM will drop and its ready. I really like it better than my old engine and having mess with the "fast idle lever" and choke and all that stuff...Good luck on yours...

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Mine is a carbed two stroke, but its nothing at all like the 94 Evenrude I replaced with it. My new Yamaha I just flip the key and then wait a few seconds and bump it and it will start. Then when its warm enough, the RPM will drop and its ready. I really like it better than my old engine and having mess with the "fast idle lever" and choke and all that stuff...Good luck on yours...
Where in Sugar Land are You? what boat is your Yamaha on? i knew a guy with the last name Martin that was a duck hunter.Think he move out of State though.Good man.

·
565 Posts
I have not duck hunted in 20 years, but I run a 19 Shoalwater with a new Yamahopper on the back and live near 6 and Settlers Way. My boat stays at my place in Sargent and I seldom fish any place besides East Matty. I grew up in Corpus fishing and hunting there and have only live here about 20 years. Sorry, didnt mean to stray off topic....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure you activate and hold the choke before you engage the starter. The choke is an electric solenoid and you should hear it click before you try to start the engine.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
150 YAMAHA

Got one does the same thing hard to start when cold. Turn key on and wait 15 sec no start.Turn key on andpush it in and crank no start.BUT THERE IS A MANUAL CHOKE JUST BELOW HOOD ON FRONT OF ENGINE.PULL IT OUT (ON) AND MINE WILL START RIGHT NOW EVERY TIME. hav'nt got around to see why the solnoid not working properly(you can hear it click butit aint doing its job). CVA34

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
open thottle half way and hold the key switch in when starting
sorry not the right way.. When you open the throtle a bunch, it does pick up timing but make the fuel try to pull thru the main curciut, not enough air flow at cranking to easly make a ventura effect. And when it starts, at a quick high speed, very little oil around the rings, and piston skirt and possable to stick a piston or transfer metal on the skirt. Not trying to be a smart ***, but this way is hard on a engine. That is why the newer computer controled engines will not let it rev up so much in fast idle.

cva34
I would think if it only cold starts with the man, choke pulled ,the solenoid for the choke is not adjusted right .
Look at it on the starb front, and with the arm going toward the choke plates, There is a line on the solenoid, it should line up with the bracker, It takes a 10mm socket to adjust. The choke plates are not holding tight against the carb, a small adjustment towward the rear may cure the problem.. also while you have the engine cover off slowy give the engine fast idle to just barely open the throtle plates, the least the best, it will pick up the timing around 4-5 deg, with out taking way from the idle curcuit . If you do it with the engine cover off you can see the throtle cam roller contact the throtle cam and note where it just starts the throtle to open and make the warm up lever there so will know the best postion on the warm up lever.

prime start , auto choke, is on the 90 hp carb 2 stroke models and below, You have to trun the flywheel a couple revs, to get current flowing to the solenoid, It's a thermosensor, that works the choke curcuit. 115, and above carbed 2 stroke have choke plates, on Yamaha's

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The key switch use to activate the choke is only momentary, the choke is off when you let the key return outward. If the motor starts while holding it in but starts to stumble when you release it, try pushing it it a couple seconds at a time and releasing it. You can open the throttle slightly to increase idle speed, but as Sonny mentioned not 1/2 way..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bod, this was discussed on another forum and for what ever reason---use the manual choke on the engine. I have a vmax carb also that was very difficult to start to the point of running down batteries at the ramp. Had it in to the shop---butterflies were adjusted, replaced, etc. but no luck. got some advice to use the manual choke. Pump the bulb, pull out the manual choke, advance the throttle 1/4 and crank the engine til it starts--now less than 3 seconds, walk back and push in the throttle and you won't have a problem the rest of the day. Haven't figured out exactly why but it works for several of us. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
if you don't pump your bulb & use your electric choke it will take a while to get all the air out of the fuel line. just pump your bulb & use your electric start & it will crank for you within seconds. i don't run a yammie but i do this on my carbed johnson & it works every time & you will only need to do this on your 1st crank of the day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts