2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a quick question.

If I were to need my carbs on my '07 Merc 50hp cleaned, what would be a decent price if I were to bring it into a shop?

Also, is there an alternative to cleaning them other than having it serviced at a shop? I am no boat mechanic whatsoever, but am curious as to if there is some sort of additive that I could run through the motor like some sort of carb cleaner or something. Like I said, at this point I have no idea what to do so all input is appreciated.

-B.Lullo

p.s. - If your answer is yes, it should be brought to a mechanic, throw a few shop names at me that are credible and do great work. Houston Area. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Do a search for Seafoam. Supposed to be good stuff. I put the Marine Stabil in every tiem I put gas in my boat. It is supposed to help with the ethanol issue. If you don't already have one you should consider a fuel/water separator. I am fixing to get one on my boat as we are finally getting ethanol fuel down here now.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
No addative is going to clean the carbs while you run if they are stopped up, while trying to run and clean if a two stroke it will lean out the engine and burn a piston, They have to be taken apart and let soak in mild cleaner, others can melt the soft parts inside. Some of the Addative cleaners will clean the fuel tank and it all ends up in the engine, and filters, carbs. sorry i can not give you and Merc dealer shop names, but call several and get prices before hand to make sure on the prices!!! Some shops have very big price difference, Some Always put in carbs kits if needed or not, as a policy, I sure some 2 cool people have some ideas on the shops to use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is something that a shop told a friend of mine to do on his 200 Yami last year and it actually worked....

Get a can of OMC Engine Tuner, its about $10.00 a can. Be sure to get a can that has the small plastic sprayer with it.(Like the one that comes with wd-40)

First, drain the carb bowls. Now take the straw sprayer and put it over the jet and fill the carb with the engine tuner and let it sit overnight. Do this for each carb. After letting them sit, drain the bowls again and start the engine.

His boat sat for over a year and it would run, but really bad. It would stutter on take-off and would cut in and out real bad at full throttle, and this did the trick. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Do a shock seafoam treatment with one gallon of gas and one can of seafoam. I do this once a year on my 2004 115. Motor runs like a champ.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Good advice from Sonny if carbs are really bad, do not run motor to clean them chemically. The cost of a carb job will pale in comparison to a powerhead rebuild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts