2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 9 year old son offshore Sunday on a Capt John day trip. Weather was fantastic and seas were 1-2ft. We were on the port side of the boat toward the front (i.e. we were no where near the back of the boat).

He was really excited to use his new kid sized outfit: a penn 209 level wind on a cut down ugly stik 20-50 rod. Its just perfect for his size. Spooled it with 40# line.

I rigged him up with a fishfinder rig and cut bonito for bait. Not much success. A few people started bringing in beeliners so we switched over to double dropper rigs with 3/0 circle hooks. He got a few beeliners and a lane snapper.

We moved around a little and got into some snapper. So I rigged him up with a bigger dropper leader and cut bait. He landed a few keeper snapper and was having a ball. When the snapper bite was off, he would switch terminal tackle to target another species, which he did with success. I guess he has been paying attention. :)

I started fishing my go to bait: a pink 5oz benthos jig. I caught quite a few red snapper as usual, and definately more than I was catching with bait. And as usual, every one was a keeper. Oh and I also hooked an undersize AJ on the jig that was released.

Big fish of the the trip was an AJ. Someone caught a large blue runner and I asked for it before he tossed it back. Put it on a large fishfinder rig and sent it down. Bam, that didn't take long. It wasn't huge, just made the legal length.

Between the two of us, we had our limit of nice snapper to about 22", a lane snapper, 6-7 beeliners, some spadefish, and the AJ. We released the undersize AJ and a bunch of snapper both undersize and legal (after we had our limit). All released fish swam away okay but for one snapper (sadly, it was legal).

Most importantly, I got to spend the day with my boy doing something we both love. It was a great day on the water.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Great report jig. Thats got to be a blast watching your son catch fish.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al. You're right. I cannot wait to get him on an overniter.

BTW, since we are now targeting "tiger snapper," I tried some different cooking methods. On these fish, the dark meat is very fishy. But on the bigger fillets that I could cut all the dark meat out of, the fish was excellent, no matter what I did (grilled, sauted, fried). If any dark meat was left, such as on smaller fillets, it did taint the taste of the meat. So keep the bigger spadefish, and just make sure ALL the dark meat is removed. It really is good, firm white meat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts