2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Last Report 8-19-04

I just got back from the Tom Nix Hunting and Fishing Show. Taking care of future Lodge duties, rebuilding & painting 1996 airboat, and rigging a new Majek boat motor this past week & this week.

Here is my last post....Thanks :)

We left the Lodge 45 minutes ago, and I still have the big Mercury pegged at full-throttle. The unseasonably ENE wind is blowing at 15-20mph, so today's trip shall not illustrate the typical daily fishing routine that Team Bay Flats has become accustomed to over the course of early August. Today's circumstances will summon the need for the advancement toward a more Fall-like strategy. Our session will necessitate that I potentially focus the party's attention to mud and grass environments, instead of the normal sand or shell target areas that we typically seek during this period of the year. The quest shall also dictate that I endure a constant vigil on the VHF, maintaining the communications link between me and the other Bay Flats guides, an imperative task given the extraordinary circumstances currently presented to us. I'll also need to convey my anticipation that our bite will plausibly be much slower than what my party is used to seeing out of Summer time Trout, but that the bite should sustain itself throughout the course of the entire day, all-inclusive of the early morning to late daylight hours. As I am accountable, current conditions present me with another somewhat unattractive responsibility toward today's party. I will be placed in the position of having to prepare them for the potential expectation of smaller Trout. The late summer pattern, suddenly, has become a thing of the past.

In any job-related situation, people tend to adopt certain rules and rituals which they directly associate with their daily routine. The same applies to fishing guides, with the only basic difference being that they are primarily forced into basing their assumptions and routines upon historical environmental conditions and patterns. Up until some of the more influential August cool fronts presented themselves, the team of Bay Flats guides was rolling along like the lead-car in the Indy 500, preparing themselves for another winning season on the circuit, only to have the lug nuts fall off one their front tires just prior to the checkered-flag. Due to this, Team Bay Flats has experienced a "reality-check" as of late. The advent of the recent unseasonable August conditions has limited our ability to be solely dependent upon the historical fishing patterns known for this time of year. We have recently not found it to be an uncommon requirement to make daily runs in excess of 20-30 miles in search of the target.

I don’t want you to think this Guide Lines is all doom and gloom. Just the other day we experienced a great day. Two boats pulled up to the lodge, its 5:00 PM and everyone is looking tired and just worn out. I am expecting the worse because of the hard ENE winds. In the back of my mind, I know guides Jake Huddleston and TJ Christensen have worked their tails off to put these anglers on a good day. Jake’s customers ended up catching 12 reds and 32 trout while releasing other reds. TJ party has 28 trout and 2 reds…Who would have ever guessed these kinds of results in ENE winds blowing 15-20 mph. All of these fish were caught wade fishing using Norton margarita bull minnows rigged with 1/8-ounce laser lock heads. With lower humidity and cooler temperatures due to the ENE winds, our fishing patterns have changed each day. Just when you think you have these fish patterned, the weather changes and you have to start all over locating fish. Our red fish action has saved us during these higher wind days. Barring any heavy rain fall, during the remainder of August and early September you will find me working reds in San Antonio Bay. With the inconsistent trout action associated with these cool fronts, it is not a bad idea to focus on skinny water while working top water lures. With cooler water temperatures, you might just fool big Susie while shuffling your feet in knee deep water.

The more years I continue to fish, the more I buy stock into fishing conditions, and not spots. August of 2004 showed us how fishing spots can end up biting you with unseasonably ENE winds. What we have learned this August, recording accurate and timely data into our software fishing logs, will only help in future years. We have experienced inconsistent fishing results over the past few weeks. On these kinds of days, a tough grind and positive attitude, along with knowing how to fish unexpected conditions will put you on more fish. Hopefully, tomorrow’s trips will give me the responsibility of being more consistent while fishing August changing conditions.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
While we're adding to the list of things to do, I am selling real estate in Seadrift. Capt. TJ (my step son), is buying his first house in the very near future, so he will be moving out. He has been living in a place I purchased for a weekend get-away since 1998.

This place would make a great fishing and hunting retreat. Here are the details...

2.0 Bedrooms, 2.0 Baths, Large Kitchen and Living Room

34’x76’ Fleetwood Festival, with covered front deck, 8’x24’, with covered back deck, 8’x10’

75’x150’ Bay view lot with shade trees, 1 block off seawall

City water and sewer

Nice big yard for plenty of parking or storage

$79,000

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Sight Cast said:
Where are the reports and pics? I miss them sooo much. Havent seen any in a week or two. Has it been slow? Thanks.
Ditto, Capt Chris. Don't reply to your posts (afraid the drool would gum up my keyboard :redface: ) but I definitely enjoy reading your reports. You'll be hearing from me one day about a trip, fer sure.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts