2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experienced marksmen know they should keep their rifles level when shooting. But they may not understand exactly what happens if they allow their rifle to be canted (tilted left or right), even a few degrees. While the physics are complicated to explain, here’s what you need to know: if you cant your rifle to the left, your shots will impact to the left, and lower, than your point of aim. Likewise, if you cant your rifle to the right, your bullets will impact low and right. The farther the shot the more exagerated this effect is........

It is hard to know in the feild if you are canting your rifle or not due to the excitment of the moment......i.e. huge buck just appeared and you are nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.......but taking the time to assure that your scope parallax adjustments are correct and that you are not canting your rifle to one side or the other can help you in the possible shot of a lifetime

Dont ask me how I know this.........oh well I will tell off on myself
About 15 years ago a buck of a lifetime walked out in Llano Co.......he was quartering away about 100 yds away....remember I stated earlier in another post that my gun is to me extremly accurate and I like to shoot in the heart/lung area......well I made a noise in the stand which caused the buck to look directly at my stand and at me......I had no idea how much time I had before said buck buck showed me a clean arse.....and I jumped the shot..........I really dont know which of the errors in my shot that I made.......since he was not giving me a clean boilerroom placement....I chose to shoot him in his thick neck(prime rut and he came to rattling).......All I know is I missed the shot and kick myself in the arse everytime I think about it.......

Could have been cant.....dont know if the parallax adjustment was correct(did not check) and I dont know if was my trigger pull

All I know is it made me stop and think about my next chance at this or any other monster............Slow down and take your time with your shot and shot placement....understanding some of the basic concepts of your rifle/scope will help ensure that you dont make the same mistake I did

TS

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
One thing that really helps you with this problem, (for bench shooting) is a bipod, if the bench is level the bipod will make the rifle level. Of course as soon as you do this, you will probably find out your scope is not level with your rifle, like you thought it was when you were used to shooting on bags. Seems like everyone tends to hold their rifle a certain way, and the crosshairs look level to them, then another person picks up the rifle and it drives them crazy.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Use a plum bob when hanging your targets. Simple as a piece of 10lb test and a nut. Make the target level and plum. If your x-hairs are level on the weapon, then you are good to go.

When in the field, use a simple scope mounted level. About $25 to $30 bucks.

At 100 yards, it don't mean jack. But, get out there a ways, and cant means can't hit what you aim at.

·
Unrecoverable Saltoholic
472 Posts
First thought, I'm not tying anything around my nut, much less 10lb test. Second thought was this makes me wonder about the plumbness(?) of my rifle when I pull trigger, but so far I really haven't noticed this, so it's worth some paper testing next time down at the creek. Thanks for the insight and another good reason to put together another shootout out at the ranch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts