·
you can't take away my birthday
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50D w/
28-135 f/3.5-5.6 EF IS USM 72mm plus filters

70-300 f/4-5.6 EF IS USM 58mm plus filters

Tripod and some other goodies...:bounce:

Now with whom and where do I sign up for a few lessons.
I'm a good learner but I do alot better with a hands on aproach?
Really, I'm dumber than a box of rocks........

I have a hour long tutorial that I will view again tonight and practice more.....:mpd:

·
Charter Member
5,936 Posts
Here are a couple of quick suggestions.

1) If you want a lot of depth of field, set you camera on "AV" mode. Adjust your lens f/stop to a higher number like f/8 to f/11. That should allow more depth of field (the stuff that is in focus).

2) if you want to isolate your subject (person, place or thing), set your camera on "AV" mode and adjust your lens aperture to f/3.5 - f/4. The closer you can get to your subject, the more out of focus the background will be, thus making your subject stand out.

If all else fails, put the camera on "Auto" and just go shoot so you can get used to the other features.

For sports or other action, you will need to have a fast shutter speed to help freeze the action. You can do that by setting the camera on "Sports" mode (aka Running Man) or you can set it on "S" shutter speed priority and set the shutter speed at 1/1000 or thereabouts.

There is a lot more to it such as setting your ISO so you will have enough light coming through the lens to properly expose the image with a decent shutter speed and f/stop.

Good luck, and congrats on your new purchase.

I think you ought to register at the Canon Digital Photo Forums (POTN). There is more information contained in those forums than you could possible ingest in a month or two! :)

Mike

·
5,853 Posts
Congrats on the new camera. POTN Is a wealth of info. I might also suggest Scott Kelbys books on Digital Photography. He explains the relationalship of the 3 basics. Shutter, Apt, and ISO. You will need to understand what "Stops" are and how in interacts with the above.
His books are great reading as he puts it in common language and not all that tech lingo stuff.
As Mike said above, that should get ya started, and headed down the right path.

·
you can't take away my birthday
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the new camera. POTN Is a wealth of info. I might also suggest Scott Kelbys books on Digital Photography. He explains the relationalship of the 3 basics. Shutter, Apt, and ISO. You will need to understand what "Stops" are and how in interacts with the above.
His books are great reading as he puts it in common language and not all that tech lingo stuff.
As Mike said above, that should get ya started, and headed down the right path.
I ordered vol 1-2-3 frm Amazon for $40. I hope to at leist take pics half as good as you guys post.......

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congrats. I want one so bad. Maybe someday. Be sure and read the manual and post note the page that instructs you on how to put it back to factory settings. It helped me alot when learning my new 40D 2 years ago.

·
5,853 Posts
Great, I have 1 and 2 that I still refer to form time to time, I didnt know 3 was out, Ill have to look into that one also. Another one thats a good read is Joe Mcnally, the moment in clicks, Good for learning how different shots were set up. He will show a shoot he did and then explain how he did the shoot, (lighting, props, etc....).

Lou has a great point, learn how to reset to the default settings.

One thing I would like to point out is, in Kelbys books he recommends the color space (adobe RGB) dont do that until you learn the camera and associated software. Keep it in sRGB, It will a lot less headaches for ya, believe me. LOL. sRGB is the default color space, so no action is required by you.

Good luck, and get out and shoot something:doowapsta:D

I ordered vol 1-2-3 frm Amazon for $40. I hope to at leist take pics half as good as you guys post.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts