2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down in Sargent today looking around and it seems like every other house and vacant lot is for sale in Downey

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
the tax man cometh ;) It's really an illusion to think you "own" property anymore. It's more like a 50 year lease.

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Sad times we live in. A man spends his hard earned money trying to inprove his home or a piece of land and the taxman shows up! Reminds me of the old Beatle song.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Matagorda cty an't proud they tap you hard. Problem being that some of the prices that people have been paying for some of the property downhere have really driven the rates up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for what most are asking for lots and/or smaller homes.......they will remain for sale for quite a while.

·
Registered
761 Posts
X2 on what Trout250 said and also the guys that came in and bought old ran down houses or lots and built houses on them that are rediculous in size and price. There are alot of "inverstors" that are kicking there self in the arse right now cause there investments have been on the market for over a year. It is also screwing people like me that will never use my place as an investment but paying the high taxes and rising value.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see how the county can justify the increase in valuation when the area does not have the real estate transactions to support the elevated property values

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
All it takes is one sale in the area for them to compare to and they are off to the races. And they don't stop for just one year, they keep going until they get the values up to the comp.

·
Banned
436 Posts
people need to protest their property taxes every year. most property is overvalued especially on the coast with the current market.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Thats why you see the old sail boat ancored off across from the old seabrook beach club. Tax free baby.
Technically, any boat that doesn't transit the 3 mile line offshore on a regular basis, will need to provide evidence that there is no one on board, or evidence of a sewage pump out. The days of anchoring out junk boats are numbered. There's enough enforcement to get it done these days, and nearly all harbors offer free pump out service. The liability of any boat on the water without liability insurance, is another issue for the bums that can't afford a slip around here. Personally, I think all boats should be required to have liability insurance. Anyone in their right mind already has it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
if it's not your homestead, Matagorda County could care less about your protest. They can raise your taxes annually at will and are not held to the 10% rule.

·
Registered
761 Posts
if it's not your homestead, Matagorda County could care less about your protest. They can raise your taxes annually at will and are not held to the 10% rule.
Your right about the protest, i have tried numerous times WITH good documentation and they pretty much just laughed. It is aggrevating.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
a lot of it can be attributed to the real estate co. I was told that they had sold a vacant lot up the creek from me for $94,000.00 for the vacant lot, now up the creek can be a long way, but i do know that they have caused the prices to go overboard. Had one call and talk to the wife about buying the lot next to our house which is vacant, wife told her we weren't interested in selling, real estate lady said we didn't have any business with 2 lots and that we should sell, wife told her that we were growing grass on it and that it wasn't for sale. Bad part about all of this is that sargent does not seem to get its fair share of of collected monies for community development.

·
Registered
761 Posts
a lot of it can be attributed to the real estate co. I was told that they had sold a vacant lot up the creek from me for $94,000.00 for the vacant lot, now up the creek can be a long way, but i do know that they have caused the prices to go overboard. Had one call and talk to the wife about buying the lot next to our house which is vacant, wife told her we weren't interested in selling, real estate lady said we didn't have any business with 2 lots and that we should sell, wife told her that we were growing grass on it and that it wasn't for sale. Bad part about all of this is that sargent does not seem to get its fair share of of collected monies for community development.
Same goes for the "beach permit". All the money Matagorda County is getting from the Sargent beach permits go to Matagorda beach. I have had some nice but heated conversations with a few of Matagorda County's finest about the permit and i will admit i have NEVER bought one because i feel it does not go to what it was intended for. Sargent gets the raw end of the deal, just like when the County took over the roads, they don't keep up with anything down there.

·
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1
2,188 Posts
It's not just Sargent, it's been happening everywhere on the coast for several years. Have you looked at the price of a shack on the Arroyo Colorado lately? :eek:

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
story i heard was somewhere around 2002, all coastal counties met with the GLO and were told to get in line tax-wise. the state felt it and the counties were losing out on avail funds, so they were supposed to become more uniform.

our taxes in sargent darn near doubled about then for the next 4 years.

a neighbor down the street, put a new porch around his house and got assessed an extra $60k...........for a porch ?

alot of folks inherited grandpas old "fish camp" and just sat on it , many have never used or seen it. now that the taxes are getting unbearable, many are getting put up for sale.

the way mata county takes care of sargent roads and beaches is flat pathetic. you want to charge that much , you have to use it for public good, not big lunches.

·
A drinking town with a fishing problem!
565 Posts
That's not correct. I appealed my taxes in Sargent this year and they worked with me over to phone instead of making me come in for a hearing. They were very willing to help and in most cases, the property taxes stayed the same this year as they were last year. Two of my unimproved lots showed no change at all this year. My property is in Downey's Caney Creek estates. One main reason for the rise in SOME of the property in Sargent is that it now has a sewer system (not all areas have it). If you check most coastal communities, Holiday Beach, Neptune Harbor, Carancahua Bay association and on and on you have to install septic system. That's a pretty costly endeavor now days. This brings up a reason that you see so many lots for sale in Sargent. Years ago, many of us purchased 2 lots, one for the structure and one for the septic system since one lot was not large enough to install a system that would pass inspection. Now that people have gotten on the local sewer, many of the secondary lots that were purchased are no longer needed and thus, they are for sale. It costs about 600 dollars to have an existing septic system "mediated". I have seen lot owner come and go, but Sargent is a big bang for the buck still, but it might be not be in the future (unless you already own there).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts