2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! What an awesome trip. I can't begin to describe to you how beautiful Lake of the Woods is. The pictures will have to speak for themselves. For me, the best part of it was spending time with my daughter. My dad used to take me to Canada and it was a real treat to bring her to some of the same fishing holes that I shared with him. She was a real trooper. We drove a total of 3400 miles and she was awesome the whole time. If she got tired of fishing on the boat she would play with the leeches, read a book and was always ready with the net to help land a nice fish. The fishing was better than I remembered it. We caught a lot of smallmouth bass, northern pike and a dozen or so walleye. Most of the pike we caught were on top water buzz baits and man do they explode when they slam it. Our good friend Dave came with us and he couldn't get enough of the top water action.

Just before I typed this report I saw a word document on my laptop desktop titled "To cheer you up dad". My daughter must have typed it sometime during our trip. Here it is…

My Daddy

I think my daddy is probably about the best daddy in the world. When I was only two years old he would take me fishing and would let me hand him shrimp. He said that one time I was sittin there with a shrimp and I said "Daddy I think this one likes me!" then I ripped its head off and handed it to him! It still makes him laugh.

I never got to meet my daddy's daddy. He died when my daddy was just 28 years old. His mamma and my Grammy is still here. From what I've heard my grandpa was awesome! He used to take my daddy to Canada and they would have a great time! I wish I could have met him.

I've learned a lot from my daddy like how to fish, how to wrestle, and how to be a good friend. My daddy is the best daddy in the world and I know it.

Attachments

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
That's cool! I went to Eagle Lake in Ontario Canada with my step-dad about 10 years ago and we still talk about that trip. Caught the same fish you did, smallies, northerns and walleyes. Tried for muskies but didn't catch any. A year from now, August 2008, we are taking a 2 week fishing trip to northern Wisconsin for smallies, northern and walleyes, I can't wait!

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
One of the best posts that I have ever read....Great pics too!.....What a Lady, What a Dad!

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
That little story made my Friday a little brighter.............Thanks

Sum green 4u

·
Banned
8 Posts
Great post. The world needs more Dads like yourself. My favorite memory of all time was a camping trip with my dad. I will never forget it. Your daughter will remember her trip with you for the rest of her life.

·
wastin' away again in Margaritaville
1,948 Posts
troy merrill said:
Dang.... I think something got in my eye.....

Terrific post!
Ditto...great post, awesome pix!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hope I can be such a positive influence for my daughter. She's only three but I try to spend a lot of "quality outdoor time" with her. Way to go Dad.

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a great trip. Thanks for your kind words. If y'all ever get up that way, check out Crawford's Camp in Sioux Narrows for your place to stay. If you need tackle, Barlow's Tackle Shop in Richardson will set you up. The owners son and I have been going to Lake of the Woods for years and he will know what you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts