2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back (2 weeks ago) from Canada fly fishing for Northerns. Did well this yr....10-12 per day between 32" and 41" on fly. lots of smaller fish. This was a weird June witht the ice off early (April 26th) so the fish were already shallow and not as hungry as usual, but when the sun came out; it got ugly!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frog imitations and streamers. The "frog" is the ticket....when the fish are shallow. When they go uinto the weed beds later in the year we throw mostly streamers. Lots of lake trout (no fly's for those boys yet....) troll 'till you find 'em then drift and cast big spoons.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Northern Saskatchewan. Fly to Saskatoon, via Minn / St Paul, drive north about 4 hours thru Prince Albert then float plane to lake. Have been going once or twice a yr for 15 yrs. Thompson's Camps in Missinipee handles all....relatively inexpensive. We cook our own meals and fish w/o guides. Weather can be interesting....snow in June, 80 degrees 2 days later, you can combo bear hunting in June or goose hunting in September, big fun. Get 6-7 guys and go, you'll have a blast. Need help in planning a trip send me a pm and I'll get you in touch with he right folks. Our last trip cost $1250 for 6 days with food and float plane (w/o flight to Canada, that was ~ $400).

·
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"
720 Posts
I have a friend in Detroit who has done this kind of trip in Ontario. We are hoping to do it next summer with our boys ages 9-12. Looks like a blast.

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Gotta love those Lund boats. I have been going to Lake of the Woods for over twenty years. My aunt and uncle owned a fishing lodge and I would go and stay with them for a couple of weeks every summer. We would normally portage to the different lakes off of the main lake and they were loaded with fish. I can remember one year that we would portage to a lake and catch 75 to 100 small mouth bass in a single day. I love fishing up there. It's so clean that if you get thirsty, just dip your cup in the lake about a foot and drink away. If I could only find a way to combine the gulf coast with my secret fishing spots in Canada I would be in Heaven.

·
2,044 Posts
I have stayed at Crawford's Camp a couple of times in Souix Narrows, Ontario. It's not fancy but that's part of the fun. They are great people and friends of my family, some of whom still live in Souix Narrows. The first time I went fishing in Canada I was 12 years old and I still remember how awesome I thought it was being up there and fishing with my Dad. The year after he died I went there with a good friend of mine and I took the hooks off of one of my Dad's lures that he used to fish for pike with and sunk it in the deepest part of the lake. Lake of the Woods is a great place and where ever y'all go I hope you have a great time. http://www.crawfordscamp.com/

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Nicely done. I visited Eagle Lake in SW Ontario in 1997 with my step dad. We tore them up as well. Northern Pike, Muskie and Walleye with a few Smallmouth Bass mixed in as well. We have been talking about a return trip, these picks might influence our decision making! Thanks!

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
don't do it!

> It's so clean that if you get thirsty, just dip your cup in the lake about a foot and drink away.

I had some buddies in HS do this in the Boundary Waters; they spent an unscheduled day or two in latrine camp.

Here's a pic of my brother with a smallie on the Rum River behind my boyhood home; it's about an hour north of Minneapolis. Once everyone went to C&R (about 15 years ago), the fishery went nuts.

Attachments

·
2,044 Posts
Most of the camps use untreated lake water where I go. I guess you could get something from it but it's so good and cold.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Big Flat Skiff,

My cousin drinks straight out of Alaska streams too! He's always going on and on about how pure the water is up there! It's good to know he isn't the only one enjoying it unfiltered.

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
nice pike...what lake is that..

i went to smoothrock lake in ontario last summer and caught pike on fly rods when i was there...nice fish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
300x-that lake was highrock lake (thompson's camps), we've fished upper and lower foster, ina lake, oliver lake and several others over the years. oliver and nacomes lake (contected by portage) have had the biggest and most fish of them all. there was a change of ownership....original owner won the canadian lottery and sold the lake to a rookie. they screwed it up and michele has bought it back. we'll be going back this septemebr to check it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts