2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooooooooo, the trip up went slow but smooth.

Stuart and I picked up our carpool partners in Kingsburg and headed across the hills toward Canada. Dut to a late departure time, we got to the border at 11:30 pm. and that is when the fun begins. We find out that there is a new law, you can only bring in 200 rounds per person, so 800 total for us. Unfortunately we're a little over, we are carrying ammo for Mike and Gregg, uh oh!

The Canadian Custom folks were kind enough to take 5 hours to take apart our trailer and my truck and X ray everything that would fit into their machine, but they allow us to bring over extra shells, 200 total but we're carrying 4700 shells, so we have a choice, turn in 2700 shells to the Custom officers or have someone on the US side store them for us until we get back! So we head back across to the US, head down a dirt road and bury our extra ammo until we head back home.

We're now running late! Mike had flown in a few days earlier and ran down 8 cases of shells and with a quick stop into Wally World for the 8 cases and we were on the final stretch!

We unload quickly and head out to scout, we find a good field, good location, easy to get to and we get permission from the owner, going good right! So later that afternoon, we go back to check the afternoon flight into the field and there are now twice as many birds :smiley-clappin-yellow:

So I'm watching from a 1/2 mile away, eating gummi bears and chilin when we watch a very large coyote make a run on these snows in the field. The coyote gets most of them up about a hour before dark so as the birds leave I drive out into the field to mark where we're going to set up in the morning.

We get a idea on a spot to set up when we notice a couple guys out on the road following us. As we head out of the field this truck full of guys drives over to us and ask me what the F I'm doing in the field. Well after they gave us their opinion and told us to basically find another part of the field to hunt, I told them we don't like to hunt the same field with other guys, we like to land geese and shoot them on the ground. This gets them rolling their eyes!!!!

So we head back to the hotel and talk it over, we had permission first and why not start the trip off by sharing some of our snow goose knowledge with some of the less knowledgable!

So we get to the EXACT spot we want to set up and the 3 guys we met the night before aren't there, bummer, they were going to miss a really good class! We get all set up and 30 mins before shooting time these knukleheads show up and set up a 1/2 mile from us in a low spot in a field, bad idea!

So once the dust settles we're up to I would guess about 95 including a banded drake mallard for Stuart to the 24 or so they had. They did get to see a good show but when you only bring up 10 or so dozen Texas rags you could be in for a long morning!

We call it a morning with a 100 or so snow and Ross geese, I head over to get the truck and meet up with a guy in a black truck, its a Canadian Federal Game Warden, hmmmmmmmmmm!

He follows me out into the field to check out the group, he checks our hunting licenes only! Doesn't check the guns, ammo or birds! He then proceeds to tell us what we're doing wrong and what changes we better make! First, any bird that dies outside the decoy spread will be retrieved immediately, we can no longer clean birds at the hotel and place the remains in any trash dumpster, all unedible bird parts will be buried in the field. He then tells us any birds that gift need to have a full wing and that if we breast them out, we can only do that for them at their homes, OK whatever.

After the warden leaves he heads over to the other guys and spend well over a hour with them, hmmmmmm, did they do something wrong? We didn't see them or their truck for the next 8 days, hmmmmmm.

So we eat, head back to the hotel and the owner tells us that this federal warden has already been to the hotel to talk to the owner about the way things are going to be! This warden and a Saskatchean warden had been seen driving up and down the streets of the town for a few hours, what the hell is going on?

We have our suspicions that some other US hunters did some bad stuff last year and that they may have thought we were them.

So we coontinue to hunt over the course of the week, we had a couple slow days 40-60 bird days with honkers, specs and sand hills mixed in!

We're out scouting a barley field that was loaded with mallard and the larger honkers and as we get near the field we see the white tornado spiralling downs onto that field. We get permission and show up the next morning and have a really good shoot. That afternoon some migrating snows see the spread and spiral on down, we're about 10 birds short of limits when one small groups of snows circles down lower than the others and as they make the last turn and they come in locked up I notice the lead bird wearing a neck tie and down the drake comes wearing a black collar :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

So onto more scouting and one of the farmers who has alllowed us to hunt on his prpoperty for the last 4 years has a pea filed loaded with birds, we head over to his house to get permission and notice a guy in a truck watching the birds, as we turn into his driveway we notice this guys following us in, this guy had the balls to pull his truck in front of Danny who was walking up to the house and confronts him, he tells Danny he already has permission to hunt them and we need to find another field :smiley-shakehead-blue:

I guess this guy didn't talk to the guys who got their clock cleaned by us a few days earlier but, this idiot hadn't gotten eprmission and was just running people off from asking permission. His parting comment to Danny was, " There sure is a lot of you American F'ers come up here to hunt these days Eh!" :smiley-cool-shades-down:

Now, I'm a loveable guy, so are my parntners so we smile, say good bye and leave. We get back to the room and call the owner and of course he gives us permission :smiley-dancin-red: and this guy who tried to run us off is going to have day in the field (class)!

We set out the trailer, 100 dozen sillos and get ready, we put the spanking on the birds with lots of mature snows about 40% and a bunch of rossies and juvies along with a mature eagle head nailed by Gregg that had some bling :smiley-rock-on:

The guy that called us American F'ers was hunt over a few dozen snow full bodies, he also didn't know better that to set up, up wind from 1200 sillosocks, he didn't shoot much that morning!

Oh by the way this blue shot by Gregg was banded in Greenland! Who knew!!

Gregg and Mike head for home sunday, that left Stuart, Danny, Tim and I for the last three days! We get set up on another barley field and the adult snows both local and migrators are diving in to the dekes, good enough that for the first two hours we land flock after flock looking for more bling, sure as shooti'n Danny eyes a green collar and gets it 10 mins later Tim see's a yellow collar and picks that one off!

We ended the trip with anothr good day and a slow day. IMHO it was wat too warm and most of the birds had not come down yet! The Canadian folks once again were fantastic to us, food was great, weather was too warm and we managed to get a few birds. I don't have many pics, hopefully my parners will post up a few more!

Here's just a few pics, more to come!

Clean up your mess

Collars and bling!!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Awesome read. I wish that I would of been able to go up there this year with some of my buddies. Congrats on the bling and neck tie.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice story KC. Congrats on the fantastic trip & hunts, along with the bands & collars!!!

That is a trip I would like like to make sometime.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok...laugh outloud...but what is the deal with the collars and "bling"....I don't get it..never hunted geese or ducks?

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Damnnnnn

Id give a left testi to get in on a Canuck hunt....
Take off Eh..lmao

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, it was a good trip, well any trip with out a vehicle break down is a good one. Anyways, those of you who hunt geese should see plenty of juvie snows and lots of rossies. I'm not sure what part of Texas gets the lesser honkers but we saw good numbers of them as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts