2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fried a mix of snapper, trout and amberjack fillets last nite.
All in the same batter and same cooking style. I believe I could
tell just by taste which specis I was enjoying eating at the table.
Am I growing gills....haha How yall's taste buds

Rowdy

·
Registered
676 Posts
fish

dang son, the Rig Donkey is supply you with some good eating. you dont have to eat it all in one night!! what do you think, i'm a fish factory? LOL.

bone

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
I can usually tell

Funny how that is, maybe it's because you knew what was in there. Not sure if I could pick up a piece of fish and identify it on the fly...

Glad to see Bone gave you some fish he caught. :slimer:

Fn

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I can often tell what it is not !

I have bought meals at restaurants that claim to be RF or flounder or trout, and can tell absolutely they are not what they are represented to be. Usually catfish at a higher price. Not worth the hassle to call them on it, but when I tell the waitress, she usually, knowingly grins LOL. I can tell the diff between RF and trout by taste and texture. Bass by taste. My flounder are pretty obvious-I only broil them whole or stuffed. Now panfish are pretty obvious--blue gill--kinda like grapes, pumpkinseed--kinda like oranges, goggle eye--tinge of masquera taste, crappie--well....you know!

Later
R3F

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
It's been a while for me (having some fresh fish)

but I think I can tell the difference from:
Long John Silvers
Captian D's
Sudies
Is that sad or what??

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Restaurants Better Not Be....

Red3Fish said:
I have bought meals at restaurants that claim to be RF or flounder or trout, and can tell absolutely they are not what they are represented to be. Usually catfish at a higher price. Not worth the hassle to call them on it, but when I tell the waitress, she usually, knowingly grins LOL. I can tell the diff between RF and trout by taste and texture. Bass by taste. My flounder are pretty obvious-I only broil them whole or stuffed. Now panfish are pretty obvious--blue gill--kinda like grapes, pumpkinseed--kinda like oranges, goggle eye--tinge of masquera taste, crappie--well....you know!

Later
R3F
claiming (selling) redfish or speckled trout. CF?

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
sure can ...been in places claiming to be snapper and I know good and well it was drum.
It was a place in galvetraz on the sea wall.
joker

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I was at Kim Son

One night they had a whole speckled trout fried served on a plate. Eyeballs and all. I am not sure where the fish came from, but I didn't think you could serve specks at a restaurant.

I rarely order fish out because I am sure that more than half the time you ain't gettin what you order.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
Troy

Maybe they came from LA. I remeber seeing redfish from LA that had three sets of documents proving they came from LA waters. Not sure if they are still able to get trout from LA.

Which Kim Son? I refuse to eat at the one by my house, just too many bad experiences and smells in that place. Not the downtown one is a different story.

By the way, we are trying to get a softball team together to play at TI, would you be interested? So far we have 5 guys. The league starts in two weeks and we would play back to back double headers on Wed. First games are at 5:30. It will be about 40 bucks per person.

Let me know.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
seafood shoppe on westheimer near the beltway has both specks and reds on ice in the store. i asked and they said farm raised for reds and not from the u.s. for the trout. full bodied trout and reds under 15 and 20 respectively as well.

my dad swears he loves redfish and hates trout. i keep my boat out at his place and he'll only accept redfish on the halfshell as rent no trout fillets.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
?????????

boat_money said:
my dad swears he loves redfish and hates trout. i keep my boat out at his place and he'll only accept redfish on the halfshell as rent no trout fillets.
Fried FRESH speckled trout.......don't get no better. Different strokes........

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i agree, but he prefers not to eat fried fish and grilled red vs grilled trout may be a tough battle. i bake, grill or broil trout and reds, but i don't fry redfish, just trout.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
dang i'm getting hungry. may need to cook up some fish as ivan comes rolling thru 2nite!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts