2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can sell fresh caught fish directly to sushi bars? I mean if I catch fish in the bays in the morning and bring it back to Austin, or wherever, and drive my truck with an an icebox of fresh fish up to a sushi restaurant in the early afternoon after an early morning catch, can I sell them fish. If so, what kind of fish do they buy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here in SoCal my brother in law went on an overnight trip and slayed a BUNCH of yellow fin tuna, blue fin tuna and albacore. On there way home they stopped at a 5 star very expensive sushi restaurant. Showed the head chef some of the catch...He took 1 of each fish and ate and drank all night...no bill.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
bay caught sushi? There is no such thing.

To legally sell fish caught in Texas waters, you will need several permits and licenses, not to mention liability insurance. The State has been buying back the licenses for years.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
It is illegal to sell game taken in the wild without the permits Mont is discussing AFAIK.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i know from this that sushi places serve spanish mackerel. i dont know, but i dont think you can catch them in the bays. i catch plenty in the surf. it is interesting to watch...

·
Registered
4 Posts
All one needs is a commercial fishing license and anybody can sell to anybody with no regulations whatsoever.

I have always had an issue with this loophole in the TPD and FDA regulations on this issue but they do not care one way or the other about it.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
bedicheck said:
i know from this that sushi places serve spanish mackerel. i dont know, but i dont think you can catch them in the bays. i catch plenty in the surf. it is interesting to watch...

Yes - there are definitely Spanish Mackrel in the bay.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
bedicheck said:

That guy was very meticulous in his preparation, I kept waiting for him to lop off a finger with that knife. The torch on the skin was cool too, looked like shrink wrap.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
so, I am guessing gill netting is out of the question? LOL! you know, it wasn't that long ago that selling your catch was common around here. I sure am glad it isn't like that any more!

Mont said:
bay caught sushi? There is no such thing.

To legally sell fish caught in Texas waters, you will need several permits and licenses, not to mention liability insurance. The State has been buying back the licenses for years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts