2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been down to the coast since the storm and was hoping someone could give me some information. Are the roads open down 288 to Surf Side to go surf fishing this coming weekend? I don't know if the Blue Water highway washed out or the roads open? Don't want to head down and then have to turn around.

Also, is the San Luis Pier still there?

Thanks for any updates, just a fisherman who's itchin to get back at it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Surfside/Follet's Island is still closed to non-residents.
The police roadblock will not let you across the ICW bridge.

If you want to surf fish you will have to go over to Bryan/Quintana beach.
The road to Bryan Beach is open and clear.
The mouth of the Brazos is reachable but be extremely careful crossing the new cuts in the beach. Low tide is the best time to try.

·
NRA Life/Endowment member, 49yrs.
1,890 Posts
Earnies'

This morning "Mudminnow" George called in to the Outdoor show and talked to Mickey. He works at Earnies'. Someone who was down at Earnies told him the ground floor is wiped out (gonna miss those burgers) and the second floor had a lot of damage. He also said he doubts the owner will rebuild. He's going to try to get down there and will call in a report if he does...Too bad, they just had that place fixed up and running well. Hopefully someone will take over and bring it back.
With the Bluewater Hwy. washed out I was thinking you might be able to drive the beach to get to the pass but I suspect there will be lots of impassable guts washed out from the "dunes" to the beach...Anyone know for sure? Only time and a lot of tides will level the beach out again if that is so...Good thing hunting seasons' here.

Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hopefully, this helps paint the picture.
I have a house in Treasure Island, and have been down there twice since the storm. It is not an easy trip, and not only are you forced to drive on the beach for about a mile or more, it involves driving through the guts with about 18" of water on a normal tide. Can't wait to see the residual damage to my truck. Ernie's first floor is gone, but the plane survived. The beach access across the road next to the condos is about 6' deep and filled with water, rocks, and concrete. The damage to the homes along the entire island is significant, and without an exact number, there are many that have been washed out to sea. Bright Light's bait tanks have been washed away, but other than that, Don said he did have much damage to the store. He is slowly locating his tanks at various places along the coast. One email came to the residents of TI where a group of college students found one of the signs to Treasure Island while doing research on South Padre Island. My neighbor got a call from the Coast Guard---"we found your boat on the beach in Corpus Christi"
The only way to verbally describe the damage is "unbelievable and sad"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Surfside

I know that 7 miles of Bluewater highway is gone. There is no more dunes and the water is where the highway use to be. Kitty's Purple Cow in Surfside is total by her insurance and she's not going to rebuild that sucks thoswe were also good burgers. I had a house in mud cut along with about 10 others that are gone. All that Ike left me was a pier. Also the bait shop Saltgrass along Hwy 332 before Surfside Bridge is gone. I'm going to Matty to fish right now due to all the debris in the bay's just what I need is to lose my lower unit. Also San Luis County park in damaged. The bridge to the RV area is gone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, It seems the whole area from High Island to Surfside is unfishable for quite some time. What's the closest alternative...Matagorda?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Seadrift was hit with some unusually high tides during the storm surge and it is still higher than normal. I fished it from Thursday through Sunday. Didn't see any debree and the water was very nice in San Antonio Bay to Port O conner.
Birdnest Billy said:
Well, It seems the whole area from High Island to Surfside is unfishable for quite some time. What's the closest alternative...Matagorda?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts